'Alice' Film Mia Wasikowska

  • Adele Cammarata
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 6, 2010
      Hi,
      I've seen the film today and I enjoyed it.
      I was wondering if it's casual that Alice in this version is the daughter of a certain Charles Kingsley - quite curious, isn't it?

      thanks for the review!
      adele

      2010/3/6 Michael Everson <everson@...>

      I have to say, warts and all, I enjoyed the film quite a lot.

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 20, 2010
        As a Carrollian for many years now I know that the only 'Alice' most teens knew before this film was the previous Disney animated 'Alice' and that was a bit of a travesty also.

        I think the kids are used to liberal interpretation of books nowadays, it's much more a part of their scene than it was in my younger days.

        In the Daresbury LC society the chair is 92 and the secretary 70+ . Those of you who downloaded the Daresbury Chronicle can read about our 40th year, still with the same secretary!
        Keith

        Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:44 AM
        Subject: [lewiscarroll] Re: 'Alice' Film Mia Wasikowska

        Young people's interest in Carroll is a good thing & as someone noted before, it's no use having the average Carrollian being a bit elderly, it bodes ill for the future.

        I am worried though that in the end, we might be "burning the village to save it", as someone once said. The core appeal & themes of Alice has been mostly scrubbed from the film, let's hope that those brave kids who do pick up the book are smart enough (and have dedicated teachers & parents) to figure out what's going on and like Alice, take the plunge.