CLD in Tynemouth

  • zed_collins
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2010
      I'm interested in a visit that Dodgson made to Tynemouth (near where I live) on 21 August 1855, with his sisters Elizabeth and Mary. According to his diary they spent a `pleasant day with the Fifes' and also called `on Mrs Crawshay, a sister of theirs'. Mrs Crawshay was formally Eliza Fife and she and her husband George Crawshay lived in a house which is now part of the King's School.

      Both the Fifes and the Crawshays were important families in the area. Eliza was the daughter of Sir John Fife, an eye surgeon and one of the founders of the Newcastle Medical School. George Crawshay ran a steelworks which provided steel for, among other things, the High Level Bridge over the Tyne and the roof of Newcastle Central Station. Both Fife and Crawshay were heavily involved in local politics and, curiously, both were early British enthusiasts for the Turkish bath. Two years after Dodgson's visit, Crawshay's house was to be the first private house in England to have a Turkish bath installed.

      Dodgson's connection with the Crawshays seems to have been through Eliza Fife (also known as Elizabeth, incidentally).

      Does anyone have any idea how the Dodgsons came to be acquainted with the Fifes?

      Andy Collins
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2010
        Andy,

        he probably met them because they knew his relatives, the Wilcox family, who resided in Whitburn.

        Regards,

        Keith W