Re: A Pun on Great?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      In the context of the episode Alice has just had a dramatic change of size and shape courtesy of drinking from a little bottle marked 'Drink Me' so I imagine that in rebuking herself for crying about this sudden and unexpected outcome she is referring to herself as 'a great girl like you' for two reasons.

      Firstly she is referring to her greatly exaggerated size and shape and secondly she is referring to her age or relative maturity. The rebuke sounds very much like something she might have heard a parent or governess say, "Imagine a great girl like you crying like that."

      I doubt that she is referring to her status, I don't think Alice has quite the arrogance to think of herself as "great" in that sense. And I really dont think she is referring to herself being pregnant (ther an unusual condition for a 7 year old girl)

      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "knaveofarts" <knaveofarts@...> wrote:

      > In C2 of AAIW, Alice isn talking to herself. She says:
      >
      > "You ought to be ashamed of yourself," said Alice, "a great girl like you," (she might well say this)[This is CLD]
      >
      > great. adj. 1. Large in size, big 2. Specif.: a. Archaic. Pregnant b. Grown large; as, great girls. 5. Being much above the average in magnitude, intensity, importance, etc.
      >
      > adv. 2. pl. Slang. Oxf. Univ. In full great go. The final examination for the bachelor's degree in classics and mathematics.
      >
      > So who means what?

    • knaveofarts
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
        > Firstly she is referring to her greatly exaggerated size and shape and secondly she is referring to her age or relative maturity. The rebuke sounds very much like something she might have heard a parent or governess say, "Imagine a great girl like you crying like that."

        That's a very good observation.

        > I doubt that she is referring to her status, I don't think Alice has quite the arrogance to think of herself as "great" in that sense.

        "great" can also mean "capital, excellent." Perhaps that sort of girl wouldn't cry. I also wonder if "great girl" might mean a good girl? A good girl wouldn't cry.

        And I really dont think she is referring to herself being pregnant (ther an unusual condition for a 7 year old girl)

        I have never seen a 9 foot tall female that is 7 years old, much less 7 year old that is 9 feet tall.

        Probably, though, great here is not a pun, but they are both probably referring to size. It certainly doesn't follow from the text that Carroll got an Oxford undergraduate student named Alice pregnant, since there were no seven year old female undergraduate students at Oxford named Alice, and I never suggested that there were.