Re: [lewiscarroll] Re: George MacDonald

  • fernando soto
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 9, 2009
      Hi Deb,

      Thank you for the information.  I have ordered this book and I will see how Page handled the very complicate narrative in Phantastes.

      If you read Docherty's book and my paper, you'll see that Carroll and MacDonald are playing a literary game with each other.  I have not done much work on the connections between Phantastes and L-G, but I have dug up a lot of material on the back and forth use of the same material in Phantastes, Wonderland, Sylvie and Bruno, and Lilith.  Mind you, theirs is not a passive borrowing, but a constant reworking of themes, symbols and characters.  By the sounds of it, they would discuss and critique each other's works.

      All best,

      Fernando

      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 23, 2009
        Hi Keith,

        I doubt whether in my theorizing about Carroll's use of ambiguity I need to explain these references other than to say that ambiguity enters here too.  This is particularly apparent in the Nursery Alice Preface, where he conflates the categories "children" and "adults" or even "old people."

        It is quite different for those who theorize about Carroll's supposed lack of interest in children in his latter life.  Obviously they have to account for these "counterexamples," which certainly seem to point to Alice being a very special child indeed.  While I am not too concerned with the relationship between Carroll and Alice L., I am interested in his relationship with the meaningful aspects of the names "Alice," "Sylvie," "Bruno," Lottie Rix, etc.

        All best,

        Fernando