Re: Holiday did not "plagiarize" in The Hunting of the Snark.

  • Goetz Kluge
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 25, 2009
      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, fernando soto <ferjsoto42@...> wrote:

      > Hi Goetz,
      >
      > ...If you can take such small parts of pictures and see a connection worthy of naming as a type of model, why can't I find smaller segments (lines and points) and see direct "borrowings"?...

      Yes. You could search one single pixel in one picture and would find with high probability a matching pixel in any other picture. (However, the easiest way to come to an equation is to multiply both sides of it by zero.) So it seems, that your proposal is not really suitable to compare the pictures. The messages which the pictures generate in the beholders' minds are more relevant. Tests will have to focus on that aspect.

    • Goetz Kluge
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 13, 2009
        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, fernando soto <ferjsoto42@...> wrote:

        > Hi Goetz,
        >
        > I've come to the conclusion that your approach is not at all useful to me. In my opinion it yields so few possible links and so much nonsense that I believe it to be a waste of time. So, why would I want to trace how you developed that approach or waste my own time looking (in some unruly Post-Modernist fashion?) for straws that "resemble" Carrollian needles? This is particularly the case for me because the bottles of hay that you've chosen probably don't even contain needles.
        >
        > We know from Hancher's work that AAiW and TtL-G have definite references to Punch, though Tenniel. "Definite references" here are real objects and characters borrowed from a source the artist and the author were well aware of, not lines or bits from some obscure piece they may never have seen.
        >
        > Fernando

        The approach seems to be useful for art historians.