Re: carroll digest

  • Michael Everson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2009
      On 9 Jun 2009, at 16:58, a member of this list wrote:

      > Dear Michael,
      > May I respectfully suggest that forum contributors, who receive
      > postings in digest form, be reminded that they should not include
      > the whole digest in their replies. It will make searching the
      > archive very difficult. They should only include the part which
      > relates to their reply.

      I can't control what people do, but it would be better if they do as
      you say.

    • pleasanceone
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2009
        I have just encountered the longest posting I have ever seen in this group! Unlike Alice, who managed to get to the third bend in the Mouse's Tail, I think I am upto about the thirty-third join of a trail of several postings. The thing is like a Hydra!

        Please, please, please everyone, have the decency to crop your posting rather than just tacking a reply onto the one before. While it is fair enough to include a portion of what you are responding to, it isn't very fair to include the previous 20 postings!

        Consider that there are some of us who sit down to read this digest close on midnight when all that is wanted is an quiet read before bed, not a game of 'hunt-the-real-posting'

        Thanks for your consideration
      • lucy chew
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2009
          I apologize, but I do not know how to do what is being asked of us.  Aside from hitting the reply button and "tacking on" my own reply, how do you crop the thread before responding to it?  I fear this message itself may be illustrating the offense being discussed, but I am, in fact, so technologically impaired that I am not sure.  Thanks for your patience,

          -Lucy

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2009
            After you tack on the reply, move the cursor down to the message to which you are replying. Delete that part of the message which is not relevant to your reply. Send message. Thus:

            I am, in fact, technologically impaired.