Re: [lewiscarroll] forty-two, Bible-code, Nabokov and Snark

  • Jenifer Ransom
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
      Numerologically, the word "dolphin" resonates to
      the number 42, and I've always thought that dolphins
      seemed to know the answer to the meaning of life--i.e.,
      jump for joy, love one another, etc.

      Joel Birenbaum wrote:

      > I thought the same thing, but we are both wrong. Originally Adams said the meaning of life was going to be 41, but it didn't sound right so he chose 42. Sometimes the obvious is just wrong.
      >
      > Joel

      > From: "Joop CAOP" <tholenaarj@...>
      > Date: 11 Oct 2000 10:23:32 +0200
      >

      > >>We can't really deny that Dodgson had some kind of a thing about the number
      > >>42, and it doesn't make sense to try and dismiss this through
      > >>'deconstruction' as Matt is doing.
      > >>To say 'If this one is just coincidence, and this one doesn't count, then we
      > >>only have two left - and that isn't many, so maybe the whole thing is
      > >>imaginary', is poor logic.
      > >>

      > >cannot resist to point out that in 'the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy' (another delightful piece of nonsense) 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. always thought adams choose this number at random, but i know better now. he seems to know his classics.
      > >
      > >joop

    • Joop CAOP
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2000
        you are never to old to learn. still, it looks like 42 has a special sound that makes it stand apart from, let's say, 41 <insert big smile here).

        joop