His Rooms?

  • lillienchew
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      What has become of CD's study at Christ Church? Have they been
      preserved, or have other people been living in them as usual?
      Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to visit Oxford to see for
      myself!

      Has the rest of the campus (broad walk, deanery, etc) remained the
      same as the photos from Dodgson's time? Does anyone have current
      photos?

      -Lucy
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
        Lucy,

        the main room in his last set of rooms is now a graduate common room. It is still essentially the same shape but it is very spartan now compared to what it looked like in his day. The two turret rooms mentioned in his diaries are still there. His old rooms are not open to the public and you could only get in by knowing somebody who could take you in as a guest.

        The rest of Christ Church has changed of course. The Broad Walk is still there but the elms have gone. The deanery is still where it was in Alice's days there but not open to the public of course. The best way to look at Ch. Ch. is to search on the net and have a look at the aerial view of it, you'll see then that from this perspective it looks very similar to in CLD's days.

        Keith