"Bun"

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
      Since you say there is no evidence of who "Bun" was, could not "Bun"
      have been a childish effort to say "Mam"? (he called his
      mother "Mama"). It's just a thought that perhaps this letter may have
      been written CLD was away from home and in fact he was writing to his
      mother not to a nurse. One would expect a nurse to accompany him.
      Mother on the other hand had all kinds of responsibilities at home and
      would not always accompany all her children.

      He may I suppose have been sent away while his mother was confined but
      I don't remember offhand which child that might have been.

      In which case the nurse or a relative at "Marke" may have helped him
      write the letter by guiding his hand.

      The "horn of hair" must have been because his curly hair went into a
      twist when he was a little child. Once again, perhaps the kind of thing
      a mother might fondly notice and mention, more than a nurse who was
      just doing her job - although one hopes the nurse did love him. It was
      by no means always the case, though, that nurses loved their charges.

      Jenny
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
        John,

        I've looked at the Redcar idea but I can find no records of any obvious relatives living there i.e. Dodgsons or Lutwidges. The only reference to the family staying at Redcar comes from the Darlington and Stockton Telegraph which, when it reported the death of his father, advised that some of the family were staying at Redcar but that they were not recalled before the death because it had happened so unexpectedly. Now they may have been with relatives but equally they may have been in lodgings. Redcar had pretentions in Victorian days and Newcomen Terrace and its like were built to house the influx of holiday makers seeking the ozone. (Newcomen Terrace was 'Dunkirk' in the film Atonement.) The railway arrived at Redcar in 1846 and it was on the direct line from Darlington to Saltburn which stopped at Redcar.

        The other contender for Marke is Marske off Swaledale. Here the vicar was Tate of Richmond School fame. He however had a house in Richmond being headmaster of the grammar school so the rectory at Marske housed the curate at times and being a large place it could accommodate any visitors as well. It can be seen in Rupert Harte Davies 70th birthday bash as a substantial stone built house. In 1836 Longley was appointed Bishop of Ripon and he in turn appointed Dodgson's father as examining chaplain, which meant he had to inspect the candidates for appointments. Whether this meant a stay at Marske is not known but it is a faint possibility. I doubt if it will ever be resolved as the evidence is not there either in the Dodgson records or in the Hutton archives, Hutton being the squire of Marske near Richmond.

        Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:48 PM
        Subject: Re: [lewiscarroll] Re: "Bun"

        Hi Keith,

        As you know, there are two Marske's in the Cleveland/Teeside area.  And just to confuse things, the Dodgson family could have legitimately visited both.  Marske-on-Sea is adjacent to Redcar, where, I beliee, the Dodgson's had some connections.

        However, my personal preference is for the other Marsk, which is fairly close to Croft and adjacent to the family seat of the Hutton family.  Anyone being prefered for the Coft living, would certainly have to make contact with the local landowner prior to accepting the living.

        I would love more information on this visit as it has some importance, gien the date of the visit.

        Regards

        JT

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Keith,

          I whilheartedly agree with you. This does appear the logical place.
          Personally I think it's one long-lasting mystery cleared up. Thanks
          for all the effort you put in on this. I spent much time on the
          phone taking to both Church and secula archiists and got no further
          than you.

          One thing I didn't do though, was to contact the Hutton family to see
          if they have any records that might help.

          Regards

          JT

          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith@...> wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > I've looked at the Redcar idea but I can find no records of any
          obvious relatives living there i.e. Dodgsons or Lutwidges. The only
          reference to the family staying at Redcar comes from the Darlington
          and Stockton Telegraph which, when it reported the death of his
          father, advised that some of the family were staying at Redcar but
          that they were not recalled before the death because it had happened
          so unexpectedly. Now they may have been with relatives but equally
          they may have been in lodgings. Redcar had pretentions in Victorian
          days and Newcomen Terrace and its like were built to house the influx
          of holiday makers seeking the ozone. (Newcomen Terrace was 'Dunkirk'
          in the film Atonement.) The railway arrived at Redcar in 1846 and it
          was on the direct line from Darlington to Saltburn which stopped at
          Redcar.

          > The other contender for Marke is Marske off Swaledale. Here the
          vicar was Tate of Richmond School fame. He however had a house in
          Richmond being headmaster of the grammar school so the rectory at
          Marske housed the curate at times and being a large place it could
          accommodate any visitors as well. It can be seen in Rupert Harte
          Davies 70th birthday bash as a substantial stone built house. In 1836
          Longley was appointed Bishop of Ripon and he in turn appointed
          Dodgson's father as examining chaplain, which meant he had to inspect
          the candidates for appointments. Whether this meant a stay at Marske
          is not known but it is a faint possibility. I doubt if it will ever
          be resolved as the evidence is not there either in the Dodgson
          records or in the Hutton archives, Hutton being the squire of Marske
          near Richmond.

          > Keith

        • tufail45
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
            Oh!

            By the way Keith. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the idea of 'The
            Walrus and the Carpenter' was stimulated by the extremely long beach
            that fronts Redcar?
          • tufail45

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
                        John,

                        not heard that one about Redcar beach! Another myth to add to the growing list.

                        The beach is perhaps best seen in Atonement - Redcar often resembles a bombed out place nowadays which is presumably why the film makers went there! The beach was a beautiful sandy beach until 1955 when a storm took most of the sand away, it has never recovered its former glory. Many old coins, including guineas were found at that time. The town has always had to apologise for itself in living memory.

                        There is no doubt CLD visited Redcar - he certainly went to a chess tournament there but I think it is stretching credibility too much to base the Walrus and the Carpenter there. The carpenter did however wear the head gear used by the Tyne and Wear carpenters!

                        Keith

                        PS as far as I can recall the Hutton papers contain nothing about any visitors in the 1830's. At that time the visit of a minor clergyman would be unlikely to rate high on John Hutton's list of interesting facts! I checked myself but it's a long time ago now so it's a bit hazy. Jane Hatcher has also looked and come up with nothing.