Dreaming Spires

  • pleasanceone
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
      I have been watching the new series "Lewis", the spin-off from
      the "Inspector Morse" series and I find myself gazing out from my
      Antipodean electronic window on to the dreaming spires of Oxford and
      recalling fondly the little sojourn I made there some time ago now. I
      suppose the magic of television casts a golden glow on the landscape,
      but it is such a nice view! I might have to dust off my passport before
      the end of the series!

      This is really appropo of nothing, but the Wasp debate is buzzing too
      much for my liking.
    • Arne Moll
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
        Lewis is great (as was Morse), but have they ever discussed Alice or
        Carroll? Or when will they ever?

        Arne

        Quoting pleasanceone <pigbaby@...>:

        > I have been watching the new series "Lewis", the spin-off from
        > the "Inspector Morse" series and I find myself gazing out from my
        > Antipodean electronic window on to the dreaming spires of Oxford and
        > recalling fondly the little sojourn I made there some time ago now. I
        > suppose the magic of television casts a golden glow on the landscape,
        > but it is such a nice view! I might have to dust off my passport before
        > the end of the series!
        >

        > This is really appropo of nothing, but the Wasp debate is buzzing too
        > much for my liking.

      • Dayna McCausland
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          I remember that amazing week in Oxford too. I watch Dreamchild just to see those Christ Church scenes.
          I also had the pleasure of being in Tom Quad on the morning of Lewis Carroll's 175th birthday.
          It is time to dust off the passport! Life is short.
          Dayna

        • annoxford
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
            Oh, I'd return with you in a heartbeat!! I'm so drawn to that city and no real reason other
            than some mystical connection. (See chosen screen name)
            I've been waiting for that Lewis series. But our local PBS station has a complete mind of
            their own. They rarely adhere to any of the national PBS fare. Very irritating.
            AnnOxford
            group moderator

            --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "pleasanceone" <pigbaby@...> wrote:

            > I have been watching the new series "Lewis", the spin-off from
            > the "Inspector Morse" series and I find myself gazing out from my
            > Antipodean electronic window on to the dreaming spires of Oxford and
            > recalling fondly the little sojourn I made there some time ago now. I
            > suppose the magic of television casts a golden glow on the landscape,
            > but it is such a nice view! I might have to dust off my passport before
            > the end of the series!
            >

            > This is really appropo of nothing, but the Wasp debate is buzzing too
            > much for my liking.

          • annoxford
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
              --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, Arne Moll <arnemail@...> wrote:

              > Lewis is great (as was Morse), but have they ever discussed Alice or
              > Carroll? Or when will they ever?
              >
              > Arne
              Gee, Arne, somehow I think Alice was mentioned in one episode in reference to tourists.
              But maybe it was only wishful thinking on my part and I haven't re-viewed episodes for a
              long time.
              How interesting (to me at least) if Dexter has pandered to the idea of basing an Oxford
              murder on Carroll and Alice. Too late now, more's the pity.
              AnnOxford

              > Quoting pleasanceone <pigbaby@...>:
              >
              > > I have been watching the new series "Lewis", the spin-off from
              > > the "Inspector Morse" series and I find myself gazing out from my
              > > Antipodean electronic window on to the dreaming spires of Oxford and
              > > recalling fondly the little sojourn I made there some time ago now. I
              > > suppose the magic of television casts a golden glow on the landscape,
              > > but it is such a nice view! I might have to dust off my passport before
              > > the end of the series!
              > >

              > > This is really appropo of nothing, but the Wasp debate is buzzing too
              > > much for my liking.

            • pleasanceone
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
                I don't know if the "Inspector Morse" series referenced Lewis Carroll
                or Alice at all (didn't watch it regularly enough)but perhaps this
                new series will. A couple of episodes of "Lewis" have had a literary
                theme (Hamlet and Greek mythology)so it isn't such a silly idea.
                Maybe someone else will think the same.

                I think a murder mystery with references to Lewis Carroll or Alice
                might be rather interesting. There's a lot of material to work with
                both factual and fictional. One can only hope...

                --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "annoxford" <annoxford@...>