Re: [lewiscarroll] Accusations against teachers

  • Lyon
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2007
      I have always thought of Alice - and indeed children per se - were, to Carroll, Muses. It is interesting that, in the opening chapter of TTLG, the black kitten is playing with a skein of thread. The scene is very similar to that of Theseus meeting Ariadne, and being given a skein of thread to help him find his way out again.

      Here, too, that puzzle of the house of Minos,

      The maze none could untangle, until touched

      By a great love shown by a royal girl,

      He, Daedalus himself, unravelled all

      The baffling turns and dead ends in the dark,

      Guiding the blind way back by a skein unwound. . .

      [Book VI, Lines 41 – 45]

      Remember Corinthians, also, that Carroll quoted in his 'breastbeating years"? "When I was a child, I thought as a child, then I grew to manhood and I put away childish things. Now I see through a glass darkly. . . ."

      Now isn't that a good description of the Looking-Glass?

      Pedophilia? I don't think so.

      Kate L

      BTW - if anyone is interested, I have just completed a series of books called "The Hero's Journey" based on Joseph Campbell's monomyth of the HJ.  They are mainly for kids - or at least that is why I wrote them originally - but it offers an insight into the way we can use myth as a 'guide to life.'  There's a bit about them on www.ababooks.co.nz