Re: [lewiscarroll] The color of the eyes of Alice

  • Lyon
    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 2007
      Not 100% sure, Sergio, but I THINK I saw somewhere that they were brown. Maybe because Carroll likened Alice -WAS it Alice? - to a fawn in the Lewis Carroll Picture Book. And fawns have brown eyes. . . . . Maybe that's where I got the idea.

      Kate L

      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 2007
        > Not 100% sure, Sergio, but I THINK I saw somewhere that they were brown. Maybe because Carroll likened Alice -WAS it Alice? - to a fawn in the Lewis Carroll Picture Book. And fawns have brown eyes. . . . . Maybe that's where I got the idea.
        >

        > Kate L

        I think I've heard that they were brown, too, but I can't seem to
        think of where I could have seen that!

        Maybe it's because she looks like she'd be more of a brown-eyed girl?

        --
        -Timothy
        http://frumiousboojum.deviantart.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 2007
          I guess all we know for certain is that they were not blue....unless very dark blue.  I think brown as well.

          Timothy Crabtree <frumiousboojum@...> wrote:
          > Not 100% sure, Sergio, but I THINK I saw somewhere that they were brown. Maybe because Carroll likened Alice -WAS it Alice? - to a fawn in the Lewis Carroll Picture Book. And fawns have brown eyes. . . . . Maybe that's where I got the idea.
          >

          > Kate L

          I think I've heard that they were brown, too, but I can't seem to
          think of where I could have seen that!

          Maybe it's because she looks like she'd be more of a brown-eyed girl?

          --
          -Timothy
          http://frumiousbooj um.deviantart. com

        • sergio
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8, 2007
            Yes, probably they were brown. Sylvie has "large
            earnest brown eyes",(besides "quantities of long brown hair")See
            chapter 14 of "Sylvie and Bruno". Maybe CLD was thinking in Alice
            Liddell when he create Sylvie.
          • Dayna McCausland
            Message 5 of 16 , May 8, 2007
              "The Real Alice" by Anne Clark p 53 mentions that Alice had blue eyes.
              Mrs. Hargreaves Comes to the USA by Edward Wakeling also states that Alice had blue eyes.
              Neither gives a source.
              Dayna

            • Lyon
              Message 6 of 16 , May 8, 2007
                Another theory gone west!  :)

                KL

                Message 7 of 16 , May 8, 2007
                  I only thought that they were not blue because it is known that the images of Alice as we know her are so much in contrast to Miss Liddell; because she was not modelled on the real one, I just jumped to the conclusion that they were opposites; however that would not necessarily be true I guess.  Conclusion:  WHO KNOWS?  :)

                  Lyon <lyon@...> wrote:
                  Another theory gone west!  :)

                  KL

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 9, 2007
                    Does it really matter what colour her eyes were?
                    Do we need to know her shoe size as well?
                    She was "Alice" - that surely, is enough.
                    Tony

                    sergio <otherprofesor@...> wrote:
                    Yes, probably they were brown. Sylvie has "large
                    earnest brown eyes",(besides "quantities of long brown hair")See
                    chapter 14 of "Sylvie and Bruno". Maybe CLD was thinking in Alice
                    Liddell when he create Sylvie.

                  • annoxford
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 9, 2007
                      Tony, There are many reasons why people can be interested in Alice Liddel's eye color. For
                      example, I had asked that queston a couple of years back because I was creating an Alice
                      Liddel doll and I wanted it to be accurate. Had I wanted to make a life size doll or
                      sculpture, I might have wanted to know her shoe size, as well. I think this is a valid
                      question and just the fact that there are differing opinions, makes it very interesting.
                      Certainly our interest in the Alice mystique was created by Carroll himself.
                      AnnOxford

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                        I think the only reference to her eyes was made when Mrs Hargreaves visited America for the L.C.Centenary.
                        A reporter referred to her "watery blue eyes".
                        However, this does not really mean much because my mother has very intense green eyes until her latter years when they were "watery blue".
                        Somewhere in my albums there is a stereo photograph of Alice.
                        What a pity it is not in colour!
                        Tony

                        annoxford <annoxford@...> wrote:
                        Tony, There are many reasons why people can be interested in Alice Liddel's eye color. For
                        example, I had asked that queston a couple of years back because I was creating an Alice
                        Liddel doll and I wanted it to be accurate. Had I wanted to make a life size doll or
                        sculpture, I might have wanted to know her shoe size, as well. I think this is a valid
                        question and just the fact that there are differing opinions, makes it very interesting.
                        Certainly our interest in the Alice mystique was created by Carroll himself.
                        AnnOxford

                        --- In lewiscarroll@ yahoogroups. com, ANTHONY RUSSELL <pennywisemagic@ ...> wrote:

                        > Does it really matter what colour her eyes were?
                        > Do we need to know her shoe size as well?
                        > She was "Alice" - that surely, is enough.
                        > Tony
                        >

                        > sergio <otherprofesor@ ...> wrote:
                        > Yes, probably they were brown. Sylvie has "large
                        > earnest brown eyes",(besides "quantities of long brown hair")See
                        > chapter 14 of "Sylvie and Bruno". Maybe CLD was thinking in Alice
                        > Liddell when he create Sylvie.

                      • Christine Gray
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2007

                          I have always thought of her eyes as blue.

                          Does anyone know what the color Alice Blue refers to, her dress?

                          Christine Baltimore, MD

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                            Alas, Christine, Alice Blue is not "our" Alice. It comes from a song. And the words "Alice
                            Blue Gown" actually referrs to Alice Roosevelt Longworth, President Theodore Roosevelt's
                            daughter. She was the toast of Washington D.C. society and was nicknamed "Princess
                            Alice."
                            AnnOxford

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                              I didn't see your post until after I did mine. Yours has much better information, too!
                              AnnOxford
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                                If you look in Colin Gordon's book 'Beyond the Looking Glass' page 20 you will see what appears to be Alice Hargreaves's passport among her other possessions and on it you can just discern that it says 'colour of eyes - dark' and also hair 'dark' as well.

                                I didn't see your post until after I did mine. Yours has much better information, too!
                                AnnOxford

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 15, 2007
                                  A better image of Alice Hargeave's passport is in the Sotherby's catalogue for the sale there on 6th June 2001 and this gives Alice's eyes as dark, hair dark and height 5' - 6" tall. Gives her DOB as 9th May 1852 not the 4th but could be just a bad bit of lettering!  The visa for the trip to the USA is on page 201 and was issued in London 7th April 1932, it cost her 10 dollars which was £2-15-0 or £2.75p in the new decimal money.