Re: [lewiscarroll] Miyazaki's anime movies and Alice books

  • Bryan Talbot
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
      Re: [lewiscarroll] Miyazaki's anime movies and Alice books >I just got a nice DVD rip of Tonari no Totoro (My neighbor Totoro) and I watched it.
      >I can see how much Miyazaki loved the Alice books. For example, Tonari no Totoro's catbus has got >exactly the same face as the Cheshire cat as drawn by Tenniel and exactly the same sly smile.

      And the girl crawls down a tunnel to reach where he lives!

      Spirited Away also has resonances with Alice.

      I too can recommend all his films.

      Bryan

       http://www.bryan-talbot.com

       Alice in Sunderland home page:

      http://www.bryan-talbot.com/alice/index.html

      Check out this incredible graphic novel by Véronique Tanaka:

      http://metronome.shadowgallery.co.uk

       Luther Arkwright site:

       http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright

      LUTHER ARKWRIGHT WEBCOMIC:

      http://www.bryan-talbot.com/lutherarkwright/

    • Yvan Alagbé
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
        For me one of the most carrollian director is david lynch. even if it's
        not always direct quotation, i think I cannot find somewhere else such a
        global influence. Does anyone knows if he actually has talked about it
        (alice, carroll) or if anyone made an article or book about this? Or maybe
        you won't aggree?

        Yvan

        --
      • monicaedinger
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
          I seem to recall quite a bit about Miyazaki's Carroll influences being
          mentioned when Spirited Away came out.

          Congratulations on your blog, Jenny! I started one last fall
          (educating alice at http://medinger.wordpress.com) and am having great
          fun with it. I came by in fact (as I follow the list via the website)
          to recommend my post of today, "Alice on Film and Video." A blogging
          friend (there is a whole subculture of kid lit bloggers) started a
          video sunday post and featured Alice on youtube. Well, she barely
          tapped the surface of what is there on youtube. So for a bunch more
          clips, come by and visit.

          And Bryan, I'm thrilled to know that you are coming to speak at the
          April 14th LCSNA meeting. I attended my very first meeting at
          Columbia long ago so it will be fun to be there again (and besides I
          live right nearby). At that long ago meeting Michael Patrick Hearn
          spoke on Tenniel, our new president Andrew Sellon presented his
          wonderful theater piece on Carroll, a family member from the
          publishing firm that came out with the first American edition of Alice
          spoke, and someone from Columbia on the centenary celebration. This
          one looks to be just as good!

          Monica
        • Bryan Talbot
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
            Re: [lewiscarroll] Various (Miyazaki, blogs, Bryan, etc). Thanks, Monica. I look forward to seeing you there.

          • Michele@TheRosenbergFamilies.Net
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12, 2007
              I wholeheartedly agree with you. Miyazaki has some of the most exquisite
              Japanese anime that is available. I have seen Spirited Away several
              times and I also agree with your comments on Catbus.

              Michele Rosenberg