Question about the senior Liddells

  • Lena Angelino
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2006
      Hello, everyone!

      I know that the senior Liddells went to Madeira for the sake of the
      Dean's health. I was wondering... What exactly was his problem and when
      did they return to Oxford?

      Thanks in advance.

      Lena Angelino
    • mikeindex2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2006
        The place to look would be Colin Gordon's 'Beyond the Looking-Glass' -
        my copy is in the attic, does anyone have one more readily to hand
        so they can answer this query?

        Whatever the problem, the cure obviously worked.

        Mike

        > Hello, everyone!
        >
        > I know that the senior Liddells went to Madeira for the sake of the
        > Dean's health. I was wondering... What exactly was his problem and
        when
        > did they return to Oxford?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Lena Angelino

      • Jeremy Browning
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
          Gordon says "...he was worn out by work and Oxford's dank air, subject of perennial compaint." Liddell also suffered "congestion of the lung a week before departure".

          Cheers

          Jerry

          The place to look would be Colin Gordon's 'Beyond the Looking-Glass' -
          my copy is in the attic, does anyone have one more readily to hand
          so they can answer this query?

          Whatever the problem, the cure obviously worked.

          Mike

          > Hello, everyone!
          >
          > I know that the senior Liddells went to Madeira for the sake of the
          > Dean's health. I was wondering... What exactly was his problem and
          when
          > did they return to Oxford?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Lena Angelino

        • Karen Stahl
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
            Hi,

            I have a used copy of Colin Gordon's 'Beyond the Looking-Glass', that I
            just bought this year at a used book store.

            The trip to Maderia is discussed on pages 130-132.

            On page 130, it says:
            "A year after they struck root in Oxford, Henry Acland, the family
            doctor, ordered the Dean to Maderia for the winter; he was worn out by
            work and Oxford's dank air, subject of perennial complaint. What Acland
            intended was a siesta well south in the Gulf Stream. Congestion of the
            lung a week before departure almost confined the Dean to a wintry Oxford
            bed; as things turned out, that would have been more tranquil."

            It goes on to say that the Liddells, and the officers of the HMS
            Satellite, got sick on the voyage because of a bad storm. But despite
            the bad trip, (it says on p. 132), the Liddells enjoyed the airs of
            Madeira that they came back the following year, with the children.

            It doesn't say when exactly they returned to Oxford.

            Karen

            On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:53:29 -0000 "mikeindex2001"
            <Mike@...> writes:
            > The place to look would be Colin Gordon's 'Beyond the Looking-Glass'
            > -
            > my copy is in the attic, does anyone have one more readily to hand
            >
            > so they can answer this query?
            >
            > Whatever the problem, the cure obviously worked.
            >
            > Mike
            >

            > > Hello, everyone!
            > >
            > > I know that the senior Liddells went to Madeira for the sake of
            > the
            > > Dean's health. I was wondering... What exactly was his problem and
            >
            > when
            > > did they return to Oxford?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > Lena Angelino

          • Karen Stahl
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
              I didn't read Jerry's message below before I sent out mine.  Sorry for the duplicated information.

              Karen

              On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:29:55 -0000 "Jeremy Browning" <jeremy.browning@...> writes:
              Gordon says "...he was worn out by work and Oxford's dank air, subject of perennial compaint." Liddell also suffered "congestion of the lung a week before departure".

              Cheers

              Jerry

              The place to look would be Colin Gordon's 'Beyond the Looking-Glass' -
              my copy is in the attic, does anyone have one more readily to hand
              so they can answer this query?

              Whatever the problem, the cure obviously worked.

              Mike

              > Hello, everyone!
              >
              > I know that the senior Liddells went to Madeira for the sake of the
              > Dean's health. I was wondering... What exactly was his problem and
              when
              > did they return to Oxford?
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Lena Angelino

            • mikeindex2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
                According to Charles Dodgson's diary the Liddell parents left for
                Madeira on 22 December 1856 (it seems most bizarre to hang around
                foggy Oxford all November and then walk out on your children three
                days before Christmas, but there you go) and returned on 3 June 1857.

                They then left again, taking the children this time, on 20 November
                1857. When they returned isn't known (at least not by me); there is
                no mention in Dodgson's surviving diary, which presumably puts it
                some time after 17 April 1858 which is when the record is broken off.

                Mike

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have a used copy of Colin Gordon's 'Beyond the Looking-Glass',
                that I
                > just bought this year at a used book store.
                >
                > The trip to Maderia is discussed on pages 130-132.
                >
                > On page 130, it says:
                > "A year after they struck root in Oxford, Henry Acland, the family
                > doctor, ordered the Dean to Maderia for the winter; he was worn out
                by
                > work and Oxford's dank air, subject of perennial complaint. What
                Acland
                > intended was a siesta well south in the Gulf Stream. Congestion of
                the
                > lung a week before departure almost confined the Dean to a wintry
                Oxford
                > bed; as things turned out, that would have been more tranquil."
                >
                > It goes on to say that the Liddells, and the officers of the HMS
                > Satellite, got sick on the voyage because of a bad storm. But
                despite
                > the bad trip, (it says on p. 132), the Liddells enjoyed the airs of
                > Madeira that they came back the following year, with the children.
                >
                > It doesn't say when exactly they returned to Oxford.
                >

                > Karen

                > > when
                > > > did they return to Oxford?
              • Lena Angelino