Is there anyone there.

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9, 2006
      Is there anyone out there?

      Keith
    • Ralph Sims
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 9, 2006
        Nope.

        > Is there anyone out there?
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 9, 2006
          That's what I thought - needs a good eye to see nobody being there! (Now
          where have I heard that before?)

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
            Well I don't know if Anyone is here; perhaps Someone could post a
            message and find out if Anyone is here and if No-one answers, then
            you will know that No-one is actually here. If on the other hand
            Someone answers, then it is quite likely that Someone IS in fact
            here. Although Someone could be Anyone, it's mighty hard to tell
            these days, as No-one seems to know who Anyone is any more.

            Does that answer your question, Keith?

            Ciao for now
            Deb :)
            (Am not sure if I am Someone, Anyone or No-one.)

            --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith@...> wrote:

            > That's what I thought - needs a good eye to see nobody being
            there! (Now
            > where have I heard that before?)
            >
            > Keith

          • Amirouche Moktefi
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
              Hi Keith,

              I am Here.

              Best,

              William Here.
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
                Not too bad but where is NOBODY? Is NO - ONE the same non-person as NOBODY?

                And if NOBODY is here does that mean that SOMEBODY is here or can NOBODY not
                be classed as SOMEBODY?

                I think I am getting there now.

                > Well I don't know if Anyone is here; perhaps Someone could post a
                > message and find out if Anyone is here and if No-one answers, then
                > you will know that No-one is actually here. If on the other hand
                > Someone answers, then it is quite likely that Someone IS in fact
                > here. Although Someone could be Anyone, it's mighty hard to tell
                > these days, as No-one seems to know who Anyone is any more.
                >
                > Does that answer your question, Keith?
                >
                > Ciao for now
                > Deb :)
                > (Am not sure if I am Someone, Anyone or No-one.)
                >
                > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> That's what I thought - needs a good eye to see nobody being
                > there! (Now
                >> where have I heard that before?)
                >>
                >> Keith

              • Ralph Sims
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
                  RE: [lewiscarroll] Re: Is there anyone there.

                  An Admiring Bog
                  I'm Nobody! Who are you?
                  Are you Nobody too?
                  Then there's a pair of us?
                  Don't tell! they'd advertise you know!
                  How dreary to be Somebody!
                  How public like a Frog
                  To tell one's name the livelong June
                  To an admiring Bog!

                  Emily Dickinson

                  > And if NOBODY is here does that mean that SOMEBODY is here or
                  > can NOBODY not be classed as SOMEBODY?

                • Jim

                    > Well I don't know if Anyone is here; perhaps Someone could post a
                    > message and find out if Anyone is here and if No-one answers, then
                    > you will know that No-one is actually here. If on the other hand
                    > Someone answers, then it is quite likely that Someone IS in fact
                    > here. Although Someone could be Anyone, it's mighty hard to tell
                    > these days, as No-one seems to know who Anyone is any more.
                    >
                    > Does that answer your question, Keith?
                    >
                    > Ciao for now
                    > Deb :)
                    > (Am not sure if I am Someone, Anyone or No-one.)
                    >
                    > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> That's what I thought - needs a good eye to see nobody being
                    > there! (Now
                    >> where have I heard that before?)
                    >>
                    >> Keith

                  • Ann Meyer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
                      Well, Jim, I often feel like that tiny grinning turquoise head -- and I'm ALWAYS here.
                      AnnOxford
                      group moderator

                      > Well I don't know if Anyone is here; perhaps Someone could post a
                      > message and find out if Anyone is here and if No-one answers, then
                      > you will know that No-one is actually here. If on the other hand
                      > Someone answers, then it is quite likely that Someone IS in fact
                      > here. Although Someone could be Anyone, it's mighty hard to tell
                      > these days, as No-one seems to know who Anyone is any more.
                      >
                      > Does that answer your question, Keith?
                      >
                      > Ciao for now
                      > Deb :)
                      > (Am not sure if I am Someone, Anyone or No-one.)
                      >
                      > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> That's what I thought - needs a good eye to see nobody being
                      > there! (Now
                      >> where have I heard that before?)
                      >>
                      >> Keith

                      Literary agent fictionAuthorAuthor of
                      New authorAuthor web siteBook author

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • Kate Lyon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
                        Hmm. Ulysses/Odysseus - introduced himself to Polyphemus as Noman -
                        oud-eis, in Greek, which is a pun on the name Odysseus. So when Polyphemus
                        was blinded by Ulysses, the giant ran from his cave, shouting "Noman! Noman
                        has blinded me!"

                        What is the answer to your question Keith? Is it the same as BB or not BB?
                        (2B or not 2B?) Which, of course, is one of CLD's early nom-de-plumes.

                        Having said THAT, yes, I am here! LOL

                        Kate

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
                          Pretty thick minded those giants in classical times!

                          BB was the name Dodgson used in the Whitby Gazette pieces but I doubt it
                          refers to Shakespeare - more likely 'Big Brother' as he was feeling then the
                          two younger brothers exerting themselves!

                          > Hmm. Ulysses/Odysseus - introduced himself to Polyphemus as Noman -
                          > oud-eis, in Greek, which is a pun on the name Odysseus. So when
                          > Polyphemus
                          > was blinded by Ulysses, the giant ran from his cave, shouting "Noman!
                          > Noman
                          > has blinded me!"
                          >
                          > What is the answer to your question Keith? Is it the same as BB or not BB?
                          > (2B or not 2B?) Which, of course, is one of CLD's early nom-de-plumes.
                          >
                          > Having said THAT, yes, I am here! LOL
                          >
                          > Kate

                        • Kate Lyon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
                            Nobody knows!

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
                              Not him again! He seems to be everywhere this Mr. Nobody.

                              I agree though - your daft idea is just as likely as my daft idea!

                              I don't like Shakespeare though so I'm sticking to my version!

                            • bbreynolds@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 19, 2006
                                Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:54:28 +1300
                                   From: Kate Lyon <lyon@...>
                                Subject: Re: Re: Is there anyone there.

                                Hmm. Ulysses/Odysseus -  introduced himself to Polyphemus as Noman -
                                oud-eis, in Greek, which is a pun on the name Odysseus. So  when Polyphemus
                                was blinded by Ulysses, the giant ran from his cave, shouting "Noman! Noman
                                has blinded me!"

                                What is the answer to your question Keith? Is it the same as BB or not BB?
                                (2B or not 2B?) Which, of course, is one of CLD's early nom-de-plumes.

                                Having said THAT, yes, I am here! LOL
                                Or if you use the conventions of the C programming language:

                                #define QUESTION ((bb || !bb))

                                Although, having used Symbolic Logic and The Game of Logic as a text in a class
                                I taught nearly forty years ago as an introduction to computer programming for
                                urban planning/urban history students, I believe that CLD would have used LISP.

                                With all best wishes.

                                Bruce B. Reynolds, Trailing Edge Technologies, Glenside PA