Re: [lewiscarroll] Why "(Mirabile dictu) a long chat with Mrs. Reeve"?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7 10:44 AM
      Another thing to consider is why do people always have the assumption that
      it is some untoward behaviour on CLD's part with the insinuation that this
      is likely to be something sexual?

      Dodgson spent time and money (his own?) on the three Liddell girls and he
      was an born educator so the three Liddell girls would go home full of his
      ideas. More likely is that Mrs. Reeve got fed up of hearing 'but Mr. Dodgson
      said etc. etc.' and decided enough was enough and the words such as
      'filling their heads with nonsense' springs to mind especially for girls
      whose only function in those days was to look pretty and be sufficiently
      educated to run a household when they got married. A bit of embroidery also
      would not come amiss. Yet here's this chap telling them about mathematics,
      science etc. all things Mrs. Reeve would know little about. She'd be jealous
      and as Alice was supposedly her favourite she'd be peeved with him!

      The Dean would not bother about this one jot. His upper class links would
      have produced in him an air of superiority which would insulate him from
      anything Dodgson said or did, his Oxford chiels or what Mr. Dodgson said to
      his kids would be like water off a duck's back to him. However, Mrs. Reeve
      wasn't related to the aristocracy, except minor county ones, and she'd not
      be so blasé about what Mr. Dodgson, a menial, was saying to her
      grandchildren. Relate it to your own experiences as a child or a parent. No
      need to invent a sexual motive or take up positions of for or against Cohen
      or Leach, both arguments are flawed.