Re: [lewiscarroll] Collingwood's book

  • Keith Wright
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 28, 2006
      Joe,

      I doubt if Wilfred would have had the time to read the diaries - he had a lot of tidying out to do at Ch.Ch.  Mind, Wilfred led an apparently blameless existence and married a steady lass in 1871 - Skeffington would have been the one to wish to see what was in them I'd guess - especially for the time before he got married.

      I'm not aware that Collingwood read the diaries although he said he did when asked about the missing ones.  He said there was nothing in them which was in any way untoward although, as we have seen, fashions change and by the 30's perhaps there was something in them that needed covering up?

      On the whole considering the speed it was written and the circumstances in the Chestnuts it isn't a bad biography of Dodgson.  All the others quote it so it can't be that bad!

      Morphany Lane in Daresbury, where the rectory stood is about two miles from the village, it is a small loop off the main thoroughfare.  It isn't the 'passing cart' that bothers me it's the impression given that Daresbury was a sleepy backwater - which it wasn't!  It was far busier then than it is now and with the railway going through in 1837 and hundreds of folk employed at Preston Brook on the two canals the place was extremely busy.  CLD would have seen life in every guise at Preston Brook.

      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 3, 2006
        Jenny,

        I didn't think you were peeved about my posting because I knew you had no
        reason to be so, I thought you were peeved by what whoever told you about it
        had said because I know what scurrilous rascals they are who cause these
        upsets. Pity they have nothing better to do.

        You've covered a lot of ground in your reply.

        The value of a parish in those days varied and it would be necessary to look
        at the stipend for Southwick. Sunderland is of course close to some rich
        benefactors related to Liddell but I have not done the research needed to
        establish Collingwood's income.

        If you remove the £100 pound loan in 1882 it still means he paid 19% of his
        income to Collingwood. I very much doubt that Mary would operate her own
        bank account though. She took the first chance of escape from the family
        when father died in 1868 but old habits die hard and she was 33 years old
        and Collingwood was 37 - so he had probably been dealing with banking for
        well over 10 years so on balance I'd say it very likely that Collingwood
        himself operated their bank account. The amounts paid could simply be high
        if the other sisters told CLD to pay their share to Mary as she had
        youngsters to bring up and they didn't. The Dodgsons are noted for their
        kindness even nowadays so there will be some rational explanation which
        won't be tied up in a conspiracy!

        The loan could simply be Christmas presents for the boys, or some need in
        the parish. It was paid back very quickly. I think CLD regarded
        Skeffington as a lost cause as he got married on September 14th 1880 at
        Bridlington without telling his family. The marriage did however work out
        and CLD came to like his new sister in law who probably saved Skeffington
        from any further hassle. The three surviving daughters were born in 1884,
        1888 and 1890 - but it is possible that CLD thought he should not interfere
        the affairs of a brother who was after all 44 years old before he got
        married.

        As you say the diary is not a good indicator of his life in that it rarely
        indicates his thoughts and at times seems to be written for an audience so
        is sanitised. it is useful for where he went and who he met though and from
        that point of view it succeeds especially with the extra info provided by
        the footnotes which comes from census records etc. things such as giving the
        age of the people he met. That info takes ages to sort out and credit where
        it is due.

        What we have is two records, diary and bank account which even together do
        not form a comprehensive picture. The diaries may have been written to give
        a slant especially when he came to the realisation that he was famous, but
        the bank account must represent the truth albeit only partly but not caused
        by deception but by omission.

        I am re-reading Becker Lennon also and although the vast majority of her
        book is speculation and it is full of errors there are glimpses there of
        what people said about CLD and extracting these can be useful. She makes
        some elementary errors such as appointing Liddon as Dean of St. Paul's when
        he wasn't, and building a case on it, but she also met Lorina and Alice plus
        others who knew CLD personally, something a modern biographer cannot do and
        from that point of view her book is valuable. She makes a big thing of
        Liddon and to some extent Pusey but when both died CLD did not attend their
        funerals. He noted Pusey's death in his diary for September 1882 but that
        was all, folk came from all over the country to the funeral in Oxford,
        Liddon came back from Switzerland when he heard that Pusey was dying but CLD
        did not come from Eastbourne! Pusey's funeral was one of the biggest in
        Oxford for many a year so either he wasn't invited or he chose not to come.
        Wonder why? When Liddon died in 1890 there is just a mention on Sept 10th
        1890 'I see by the papers that my dear old friend Dr. Liddon died yesterday'
        No mention of attending the funeral.