Re: [lewiscarroll] Re Defining Lewis Carroll

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      In the later years CLD did spend a lot of time on logic, arguing sometimes with the Professor of Logic but certainly teaching logic to girls either at a school or individually.  What we don't know though is how effective he was at the teaching but nevertheless he obviously saw himself as a logician. So how did CLD define himself?

      Edith Oliver wrote many years after his death about her tete a tete dinners with Dodgson :-

      'Mr. Dodgson never spoke of Alice in Wonderland, but there were three other things in his life of which he seemed proud. They were his kettle (he modified this so that it had a long handle for getting it off the stove without burning his hands), his logic, and his photographs.. . . . . . .   Then he was always in the middle of an argument with the university Professor of Logic, and each time I dined in his rooms he had ready a newly invented problem of his own which I was asked to solve by common sense.'

      Edith was writing this about a friendship she had with CLD in the mid 1890's.  His definition of himself at that time would appear to be as inventor, photographer and logician.  Unfortunately, Edith was not as skilled at logic as CLD so we are unable to assess, as we can with his photography, how effective he was at logic. He often found flaws in his logic and his inventions and admitted to these in his diaries.

      Keith

      .