phantasmagoria

  • karoline@historyisfiction
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
      I've a couple of questions for any bibliophiles.

       Did  the 1869 edition of 'Phantasmagoria and Other Poems' include  all the serious poems? and was this the first time they had all appeared in print together?  if not, what was?

      karoline

    • Bryan Talbot
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
        Carroll a Dragon?
        Okay, we all know that astrology is a load of fetid dingos’ kidneys, but some members may find this interesting.

        From the chart on the link below, going backwards in 12 year jumps, I’ve just worked out that Carroll is, in Chinese horoscope terms, a dragon. Apparently, dragons are:

        Magical, shrewd, intuitive, artistic and very lucky. Alternately, can be stubborn, irritable and impulsive. Can also be rather worldly and hard to get close to. Full of vitality, self assured, bright and master of success. Somewhat proud and quick-tempered, the Dragon personality is always attractive.“

        I find it very unlikely that Carroll knew his Chinese birth sign but much of this description does seem to match with what we know of his character. Having said that, I imagine the same could be said of some of the others.

        Jabberwocky is, of course, inspired by old dragon legends.

        Bryan

        http://member.newsguy.com/~twilight/ch/chinese_years.htm
      • Joe Soap

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005