Re: [lewiscarroll] Re: Oxford DNB life of the day: The origins of Wonderland

  • Darien Graham-Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2005
      On 5/6/05, mikeindex2001 <Mike@...> wrote:

      > Okay, you have forty minutes. Answer at least two of the questions,
      > using diagrams and colored pencils if needed. Do not attempt to write
      > on both sides of the paper at once

      Can't do two questions, but I thought it had been established that
      Lord Newry wanted to throw a ball at Ch. Ch.; Dodgson campaigned
      successfully against it; and Mrs. Liddell was angry with him because
      she was keen to attract high society to the college. Am I wrong?

      D.
    • BRYAN TALBOT
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2005
        > Okay, you have forty minutes. Answer at least two of
        > the questions,
        > using diagrams and colored pencils if needed. Do not
        > attempt to write
        > on both sides of the paper at once

        Ha! 1066 & all that.

        Thanks, Mike. I thought that something had been
        unearthed that I'd heard about.

        But if the "break" was all on LC's side, why did Mrs
        liddell burn his letters to Alice? And wasn't the
        "Alice proposal" theory confirmed by Caryl Hargreaves
        (though I'd list him as an unreliable witness)?

        Didn't the "banishment" coincide with a rift between
        LC and the Dean over university policy? Perhaps that
        was the reason for the freeze in relations?

        Bryan
      • BRYAN TALBOT
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2005

          > Thanks, Mike. I thought that something had been
          > unearthed that I'd heard about.

          Of course, that should have read "I thought that
          something had been unearthed that I HADN'T heard
          about."!

          Bryan