Re: Alice in Dialects

  • Alan Lance Andersen
    Message 1 of 114 , May 1, 2005
      Alice in Dialects -- What a concept !

      Here's what I came up with for the Mad Tea Party
      using online translators:

      ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN DIALECT

      by Lewis Carroll

      Translations into Dialect © Copyright 2005
      by Alan Lance Andersen. All Rights Reserved.

      ENGLISH

      A Mad Tea-Party

      There was a table set out under a tree in front of the
      house, and the March Hare and the Hatter were
      having tea at it: a Dormouse was sitting between
      them, fast asleep, and the other two were using it as a
      cushion, resting their elbows on it, and talking over
      its head. `Very uncomfortable for the Dormouse,'
      thought Alice; `only, as it's asleep, I suppose it
      doesn't mind.'

      The table was a large one, but the three were all
      crowded together at one corner of it: `No room! No
      room!' they cried out when they saw Alice coming.
      `There's PLENTY of room!' said Alice indignantly,
      and she sat down in a large arm-chair at one end of
      the table.

      `Have some wine,' the March Hare said in an
      encouraging tone.

      Alice looked all round the table, but there was
      nothing on it but tea. `I don't see any wine,'
      she remarked.

      `There isn't any,' said the March Hare.

      `Then it wasn't very civil of you to offer it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't very civil of you to sit down without being
      invited,' said the March Hare.

      [ This is the original as Lewis Carroll wrote it … ]

      BRUMMIE

      A Yampy Tea-Party

      There was a table set ert under a tree in front of the
      owse, an' the March Hare an' the Hatter were haven
      toy at it: a Dormouse was sitten between them, fus
      asleep, an' the other tewthree were usen it as a
      cushion, resten their elbows on it, an' talken over its
      yed. `Very uncomfortable for the Dormouse,' thought
      Alice; `only, as it's asleep, I suppose it
      doesn't mind.'

      The table was a large `un, but the tewthree were all
      crowded together at `un corner of it: `No room! Naaa
      room!' they blarted ert when they saw Alice comen.
      `There's plenty of room!' said Alice indignantly, an'
      she sat dowl in a large arm-chair at `un end of
      the table.

      `Have sum wine,' the March Hare said in an
      encouragen tone.

      Alice looked all round the table, but the'er was
      nothen on it but toy.

      `I doy see anny wine,' she remarked.

      `There taint anny,' said the March Hare.

      `Then it wasn't well civil of yam ter offer it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't well civil of yam ter sit dowl wiouten been
      invited,' said the March Hare.

      [ This is the dialect used by residents of
      Birmingham — England, not Alabama. ]

      SCOTS

      A Radge Tea-Party

      Thaur was a table sit it under a cabre in front ay th'
      hoose, an' th' March Haur an' th' Hatter waur
      havin' tea at it: a Dormoose was sittin' atween them,
      fest asleep, an' th' other tois waur usin' it as a
      cushion, restin' their elbows oan it, an' talkin' o
      wer its heed.

      `Very uncomfortable fur th' Dormoose,' thooght
      Alice; `only, as it's asleep, ah suppose it
      doesnae min'.'

      The table was a large a body, but th' thee waur aw
      crowded together at a body corner ay it: `No room!
      Nae room!' they cried it when they saw Alice comin'.
      `There's plenty ay room!' said Alice indignantly, an'
      she sat doon in a large arm-chair at a body end ay
      th' table.

      `Hae some bucky,' th' March Haur said in an
      encooragin' tain.

      Alice looked aw roon th' table, but thaur was
      naethin' oan it but tea. `I dornt see onie bucky,'
      she remarked.

      `Thaur isnae onie,' said th' March Haur.

      `Then it wasnae huir uv a civil ay ye tae offer it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasnae huir uv a civil ay ye tae sit doon withit
      bein' invited,' said th' March Haur.

      [ Hoot, mon, this is in the accent of Scotland. ]

      GEORDIE

      A Radgie Tea-Party

      Theor wes a tyeble set yeut undor a tree in front iv
      the kip, an' the March Hare an' the Hattor weor havin
      tea at it: a Dormoose wes sittin inatween them, fast
      asleep, an' the othor twa weor usin it as a cushion,
      restin their elbows on it, an' talkin owor its heed.
      `Varry uncomfortyeble fo' the Dormoose,' thowt
      Alice; `only, as it's asleep, ah suppose it
      doesn't mind.'

      The tyeble wes a large yen, but the three weor aaal
      crowded togethor at yen cornor iv it: `No room! Nar
      na room!' the' creed yeut when the' saaw Alice
      comin. `There's lashins iv room!' said Alice
      indignantly, an' she sat doon in a large arm-chair at
      yen end iv the tyeble.

      `Hev sum wine,' the March Hare said in an
      encouragin tone.

      Alice leukt aaal roond the tyeble, but thor wes neewt
      on it but tea. `I divvent see any wine,' she remarked.

      `Theor isn't any,' said the March Hare.

      `Then it wasn't geet civil iv yee tuh offor it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't geet civil iv yee tuh sit doon withyeut bein
      invited,' said the March Hare.

      [ This is the dialect found in Newcastle. ]

      IRISH

      A Not-De-Full-Shillin' Tea-Party

      There wus a table set oyt under a tree in front av de
      gaff, an' de March `Are an' de `Atter were
      `avin' tay at it: a Dormouse wus sittin' between
      dem, fast asleep, an' de other two were usin'
      it as a cushion, restin' their elbows on it, an'
      blatherin' over its noggin. `Very uncomfortable
      for de Dormouse,' tart Alice; `only, as `tis asleep,
      oi suppose it doesn't mind.'

      The table wus a lorge wan, but de tree were al' black
      together at wan corner av it: `No room! Naw room!'
      they cried oyt whaen they saw Alice comin'. `There's
      galore av room!' said Alice indignantly, an' she sat
      down in a lorge arm-chair at wan end av de table.

      `Have sum wine,' de March `Are said in an
      encouragin' tone.

      Alice looked al' roun' de table, but dare wus nathin'
      on it but tay. `I don't clap any wine,' she remarked.

      `There isn't any,' said de March `Are.

      `Then it wasn't pure civil av yer ter offer it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't pure civil av yer ter sit down withoyt bein'
      invited,' said de March `Are.

      [ Faith an' Begorra, tis' the accent of Ireland ... ]

      COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG

      A Mum-And-Dad-Tea-Party

      There was a Betty Grable set aahhht under a tree in
      front of the bleedin' gaff, and the bloomin' March
      `Are and the Bloody `Atter were `avin' Rosy Lee at
      it: a Dormouse was sittin' between them, fast asleep,
      and the ovver Bo-le Of Glue were usin' it as a
      cushion, restin' their elbows on it, and talkin' over
      its Crust of Bread. `Very uncomfortable for the
      Dormouse,' thought Alice; `only, as it's asleep,
      I suppose it doesn't Chinese Blind.'

      The Betty Grable was a large wahn, but the carpet
      were aw crowded together at wahn Johnnie Horner of
      it: `Na va va voom! Nah va va voom!' they cried
      aahhht chicken pen they Bear's Paw Alice comin'.
      `There's plenty of va va voom!' said Alice
      indignantly, and she sat daahhhn in a large `rm-chair
      at wahn end of the Betty Grable.

      `-Ave sum Porcupine,' the March `Are said in an
      encouragin' tone.

      Alice looked aw round the Betty Grable, but there
      was nuffin' on it but Rosy Lee. `I daan't clock any
      Porcupine,' she remarked.

      `There aint any,' said the March `Are.

      `Then it wasn't very civil of ya ter offer it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't very civil of ya ter sit daahhhn wifaht bein'
      invited,' said the March `Are.

      [ Cockney is the dialect of East London. Rhyming-
      Slang is a sort of language code in which rhymes
      are used – i.e. "Mum and Dad" = "Mad." ]

      SCOUSE

      An A-Barm Pot Tea-Party

      Thuz wuz a table set out under a tree in front o' de
      kun, and de March `Are and de `Atti wuz `av'n char
      at it: a Dormouse wuz sitt'n betweun dem, fast
      asleep, and de uvver two wuz us'n it as a cushion,
      rest'n their elbows ed it, and witti'n over its barnet.
      `Very uncomfortable fe de Dormouse,' thought Alice;
      `only, as it's asleep, ay suppose it doesn't mind.'

      The table wuz a large one, but de tree wuz all
      crowded tergether at one corner o' it: `No rewm! Nah
      rewm!' dee cried out whun dee saw Alice com'n.
      `There's bags o' rewm!' said Alice indignantly, and
      she sat down inna large arm-ch at one end o' de table.

      `Huv some plonky,' de March `Are said in an
      encoag'n terne.

      Alice lewked all scewp de table, but thuz wuz nowt
      ed it but char. `I dun see any plonky,' she remarked.

      `Thuz isn't any,' said de March `Are.

      `Thun it wasn't dead civil o' yew ter offer it,' said
      Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't dead civil o' yew ter sit down without
      be'n invited,' said de March `Are.

      [ This is the dialect found in Liverpoole — home of
      the Beatles. It was a sailor's slang; the term refers
      to "lobscouse stew." ]

      YORKSHIRE CHICKEN RUN

      Eur Mad Tea-Party

      Theear wor eur table set art unda eur tree i' front o' t'
      `ouse, `n t' March `Are `n t' `Atta wor
      avin teeur a' it: eur Dormouse wor sittin atwixt `em,
      `ard on, `n tutheur twoa wor usin it as eur cushion,
      restin thea elbows on it, `n callin o'a its noggin.

      `Veree uncomfortable fert Dormouse,' thowt Alice;
      `only, as it's asleep, ah suppose it doesn't
      min'.'

      The table wor eur large `un, bur t' three wor orl
      crowded togetha a' `un corna o' it: `Noa roa! Neya
      roa!' thee cried art when thee saw Alice comin.
      `There's plenty o' roa!' sez Alice indignantly,
      `n shi sa' daahn i' eur large arm-chair a' `un
      en' o' t' table.

      `Hev um wine,' t' March `Are sez i' an encouragin
      tone.

      Alice looked orl roun' t' table, bur theear wor nowt
      on it bur teeur. `I dooant see enny wine,' shi
      remarked.

      `Theear int enny,' sez t' March `Are.

      `Then it wasn't reeight civil o' thee ta offa it,'
      sez Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't reeight civil o' thee ta sit daahn wiyaa'
      bein invited,' sez t' March `Are.

      [ This is the farm dialect found in Yorkshire, where
      James Herriot's "All Things Great and Small" takes
      Place … ]

      VEDDY VEDDY PROPER ROYALTY ENGLISH

      Ah Baaarmy Tea-Paaarty

      There was ah table set out undah ah tree in front of
      the hice, and the Maaarch Haaare and the Hattah were
      having teah at it: ah Dormouse was sitting between
      them, fast asleep, and the uhthah twoh were using it
      as ah cushiohn, resting their elbows ohn it, and
      talking ovah its head. `Very uncomfortable for the
      Dormouse,' thought Alice; `only, as it's asleep, one
      suppose it doesn't mind.'

      The table was ah frightfully laaargah than normal
      one, but the three were all crowded togethah at one
      cornah of it: `Noh roohm! Noh roohm!' they cried
      out when they saw Alice coming. `There's plenty of
      roohm!' said Alice indignantly, and she sat down in
      ah frightfully laaargah than normal aaarm-chaair at
      one end of the table.

      `Have some something special,' the Maaarch Haaare
      said in an encouraging tone.

      Alice loohked all round the table, but there was bally
      all ohn it but teah. `I dane't see any something
      special,' she remaaarked.

      `There isn't any,' said the Maaarch Haaare.

      `Then it wasn't jolly civil of you, one's old bean, to
      offah it,' said Alice angrily.

      `It wasn't jolly civil of you, one's old bean, to take
      ah pew without being invited,' said the Maaarch
      Haaare.

      [ This is the stereotypical dialect of the nobility and
      royalty, sometimes called Queen's English. ]

      .
    • RICHARD ANTHONY
      Message 114 of 114 , Aug 15, 2005
        Which of the following is the odd one out?
        King Kong,Alice in Wonderland,the Archbishop of Canterbury,the Mad Hatter,an intellectual in Blair's Cabinet,the Wizard of Oz?
        Answer :
        the 3rd one the rest are fictional characters

        RICHARD ANTHONY <alicespiral@...> wrote:

        All these sites are linked on my own Yahoos

        > > > --Visit the biggest Alice picture sites on Yahoo
        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aliceontheweb>

        > an

        > > the

        > even
        > > > more fun!

        > > > visit our homepage  at:

        > > > to unsubscribe  send a blank email to:

        > > >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        > Yahoo!
        > > > Terms of Service.

        > > > ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features -
        > even
        > > more fun!
        > > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
        > > >

        > > > visit our homepage  at: