Re: [lewiscarroll] Oxford pictures

  • RICHARD ANTHONY
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
      I would stay well clear of what sounds to be a joke at
      the expense of this board.
      For a start its impossible to take 100 pictures and
      find them all damaged.Unless the camera had water
      inside in which case it says a lot about the research
      undertaken
      2ndly there is no lack of Oxford pictures on the Web
      which are royalty free.
      3rd why not use a Camcorder .

      Theres also a Lewis Carroll message board on the Web
      which is full of filth and spam as well as the usual
      arguments on the lines of whats never been proved
      --- Keith Wright <keith@...>
      wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Judith

      and what is the 'truth' in Alice in Wonderland?

      I have pictures of Ch. Ch. but do not want to be
      associated with anything
      that is dubious!

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
        This sounds fishy to me. Stay clear. What's up with someone who can't
        manage to get one picture out of 100 right?
        Jenny Woolf
        LEWIS CARROLL IN HIS OWN ACCOUNT
        www.jabberwock.co.uk
      • mikeindex2001
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
          People - Judith has been a member of this list for some time and she
          doesn't deserve this kind of rudeness because she asks for some pics
          of Oxford. Get a grip please and remember this is a public forum.

          Judith, I apologise for the comments made, and hope Keith can manage
          to help you with your pics.

          cheers

          Mike
        • RICHARD ANTHONY
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
            As I said its virtually impossible nowadays to screw a
            photo up.Everything possible has been done to make
            cameras totally idiot proof and now with a digital you
            can see what you took anyway.You can take them off
            yourself by pointing the camera backwards more
            succesfully than on a time exposure-nothing is now
            impossible
            --- jenny2write <woolf@...> wrote:
            ---------------------------------

            This sounds fishy to me. Stay clear. What's up with
            someone who can't
            manage to get one picture out of 100 right?
            Jenny Woolf
            LEWIS CARROLL IN HIS OWN ACCOUNT
            www.jabberwock.co.uk

            visit our homepage at:

            Terms of Service.

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
              --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "mikeindex2001" <Mike@l...> wrote:

              > People - Judith has been a member of this list for some time and she
              > doesn't deserve this kind of rudeness because she asks for some pics
              > of Oxford. Get a grip please and remember this is a public forum.
              >
              > Judith, I apologise for the comments made, and hope Keith can manage
              > to help you with your pics.
              >
              > cheers
              >
              > Mike
              If Judith is really a bone fide member, then I apologise too. But
              surely anyone who wants information should not say anything vague like
              they need pictures to illustrate "the 'truth'in AiW." without giving
              us a bit of an idea about what "thr truth" is. Unfortunately we are all
              familiar with theories about LC being a murder, paedophile or other
              sorts of criminal, how do we know she isn't writing something really
              horrible for our pictures to be used with? And I still find it hard to
              imagine how someone could take 100 pictures that don't work. More
              comprehensible I suppose if she used up 3 rolls of film that came out
              blank, but if it is a digital camera then it almost defies belief....
              Just too many fishy people post on lists I guess. Sorry Judith if you
              were bona fide. Jenny
            • Keith Wright
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                Jenny,

                it was just the combination of the request coming on 1st April and her
                losing 100 pictures that made you think it was a wind up - these things
                happen!

                However, as a photographer I know it is possible to lose pictures. They
                disappear directly in relationship to how important they are to you - it's
                an unwritten law. If you don't believe me then volunteer to take the
                pictures at a wedding!

                If Judith is still about and still wants the pics she can contact me off
                list. Some of my pics actually have Alices on them!

                >> People - Judith has been a member of this list for some time and she
                >> doesn't deserve this kind of rudeness because she asks for some pics
                >> of Oxford. Get a grip please and remember this is a public forum.
                >>
                >> Judith, I apologise for the comments made, and hope Keith can manage
                >> to help you with your pics.
                >>
                >> cheers
                >>
                >> Mike
                > If Judith is really a bone fide member, then I apologise too. But
                > surely anyone who wants information should not say anything vague like
                > they need pictures to illustrate "the 'truth'in AiW." without giving
                > us a bit of an idea about what "thr truth" is. Unfortunately we are all
                > familiar with theories about LC being a murder, paedophile or other
                > sorts of criminal, how do we know she isn't writing something really
                > horrible for our pictures to be used with? And I still find it hard to
                > imagine how someone could take 100 pictures that don't work. More
                > comprehensible I suppose if she used up 3 rolls of film that came out
                > blank, but if it is a digital camera then it almost defies belief....
                > Just too many fishy people post on lists I guess. Sorry Judith if you
                > were bona fide. Jenny
                >

                > visit our homepage at:

              • Judith
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Oh my God!!!
                  I am sorry, it wasn't my intention to cause any problems.
                  I used so few words because my English isn't THAT good and I was
                  afraid of making mistakes. And... I didn't realise it was the 1st of
                  April! Here in Holland it still was 31th of march.
                  Now, I'll explain everything (don't mind my english)
                  My name is Judith, I'm Dutch and a few years ago I wrote a paper for
                  university about the dutch translations of AiW. My professor was so
                  happy about it that he send it to a literary magazine that talks
                  about children's literature. It was published and after that I
                  really got interested in AiW and in writing articles.
                  Now I sent my article to a fantasy-magazine with the question if I
                  could write another article for them about AiW. In that magazine
                  they have a column about 'fantasy-voyages' and they thought it would
                  be nice to have an article about a trip to Oxford with information
                  about the Alice-related places (that's what I meant with 'the truth
                  of AiW).
                  So I went to Oxford three days to make picures (and to have a
                  weekend off). I really liked Oxford and everything. It was also my
                  first time to GB, so it was really special to me. I had borrowed my
                  brother's digital camera because the magazine wanted to have the
                  picuters right away via email. I never used a digital camera before,
                  but my brother convinced me that I only had to press the button
                  but... the camera was adjusted wrongly. It was adjusted that way
                  that I could make pictures only within a metre (at least I think it
                  was). On the camera's screen they looked quite good, but in the
                  computer and printed out they were all blurred... So, that's the
                  reason they ALL came out wrongly... :-(
                  I cried a lot, but that didn't really help...

                  Now the magazine is still waiting for pictures. I found a few on the
                  internet, but they aren't really suitable 'cause they are too
                  little. Then I thought of asking it here...

                  I hope this will explain everything.

                  xxxJudith

                  (my profile) http://profiles.yahoo.com/giudycat

                  --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Wright" <keith@c...>

                • mikeindex2001
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                    Judith - Your English is a lot better than my Dutch!

                    I apologise again for the intense response you got, I am sure
                    everyone can now see you are not a paedophile in disguise! I hope you
                    manage to obtain some replacement pictures, and good luck with the
                    project.

                    cheers
                    Mike

                    --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Judith" <giudycat@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > wrote:
                    > > Jenny,
                    > >
                    > > it was just the combination of the request coming on 1st April
                    and
                    > her
                    > > losing 100 pictures that made you think it was a wind up - these
                    > things
                    > > happen!
                    > >
                    > > However, as a photographer I know it is possible to lose
                    > pictures. They
                    > > disappear directly in relationship to how important they are to
                    > you - it's
                    > > an unwritten law. If you don't believe me then volunteer to take
                    > the
                    > > pictures at a wedding!
                    > >
                    > > If Judith is still about and still wants the pics she can contact
                    > me off
                    > > list. Some of my pics actually have Alices on them!

                  • Keith Wright
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                      Mike/Judith,

                      Judith you have caused no problems and Mike it was the last thing in my mind
                      to think that any picture of Ch.Ch. could be used in the way you suggest!
                      My pictures often have the girls dressed as Alice on them for the simple
                      reason that showing them Ch.Ch. is part of their LC education - they
                      represent Daresbury at fetes etc. and would not volunteer for the job if
                      they did not want their photograph taken in Alice costume! I am not one of
                      the people who thinks everyone pointing a camera at a child is doing so for
                      dubious reasons, the whole thing is getting out of hand. Let's call a halt
                      to this now and I will send Judith her pictures.

> [...]
                      >> wrote:
                      >> > Jenny,
                      >> >
                      >> > it was just the combination of the request coming on 1st April
                      > and
                      >> her
                      >> > losing 100 pictures that made you think it was a wind up - these
                      >> things
                      >> > happen!
                      >> >
                      >> > However, as a photographer I know it is possible to lose
                      >> pictures. They
                      >> > disappear directly in relationship to how important they are to
                      >> you - it's
                      >> > an unwritten law. If you don't believe me then volunteer to take
                      >> the
                      >> > pictures at a wedding!
                      >> >
                      >> > If Judith is still about and still wants the pics she can contact
                      >> me off
                      >> > list. Some of my pics actually have Alices on them!

                    • RICHARD ANTHONY
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                        Well we'd better start agin.She convinced me and I
                        don't reckon her English was that bad.But then a
                        stupid language like ours can throw anybody.I can also
                        see why a digital camera could be difficult for a
                        beginner-you need to study the manual first.
                        The so called @truth in...@ sounds real interesting as
                        we have had at least 3 terrible books on Alice and the
                        so called @Truth@ but this idea sounds like a new take
                        on the subject and the kind of thing would appeal to
                        me.I'm still trying to get hold of Alice On The Moon
                        which is another the Americans keep to themselves---

                        ---------------------------------

                        wrote:

                        > >> People - Judith has been a member of this list
                        for some time
                        and she
                        > >> doesn't deserve this kind of rudeness because she
                        asks for some
                        pics
                        > >> of Oxford. Get a grip please and remember this is
                        a public
                        forum.

                        > >> Judith, I apologise for the comments made, and
                        hope Keith can
                        manage
                        > >> to help you with your pics.
                        > >>
                        > >> cheers
                        > >>
                        > >> Mike
                        > > If Judith is really a bone fide member, then I
                        apologise too. But
                        > > surely anyone who wants information should not say
                        anything
                        vague like
                        > > they need pictures to illustrate "the 'truth'in
                        AiW." without
                        giving
                        > > us a bit of an idea about what "thr truth" is.
                        Unfortunately we
                        are all
                        > > familiar with theories about LC being a murder,
                        paedophile or
                        other
                        > > sorts of criminal, how do we know she isn't
                        writing something
                        really
                        > > horrible for our pictures to be used with? And I
                        still find it
                        hard to
                        > > imagine how someone could take 100 pictures that
                        don't work. More
                        > > comprehensible I suppose if she used up 3 rolls of
                        film that
                        came out
                        > > blank, but if it is a digital camera then it
                        almost defies
                        belief....
                        > > Just too many fishy people post on lists I guess.
                        Sorry Judith
                        if you
                        > > were bona fide. Jenny
                        > >

                        > > visit our homepage at: