Re: [lewiscarroll] Carroll in the USA

  • Keith Wright
    Message 1 of 114 , Mar 1, 2005
      John,

      my views are a bit more complicated than that. It is true that in my teaching experience I met few teachers who could be classed as good managers, the requirement for a head seemed to be full acceptance of the status quo so that the boat wasn't rocked by any reality from the outside world. Academics are perhaps not the best folk to do research, they obviously have the time but lack the ability to be objective because they have been brought up through the flawed system.  It's why things such as continental drift etc. take so long to be accepted - in essence the old duffers have to die out before anything new can be accepted.

      CLD was not like that and I think he gently took the Michael out of the system he found himself in.   He was enamoured of it enough though to defend Ch.Ch. when he knew it was being ridiculous and he was fully aware that Ch.Ch. catered for the plonkers of the landed gentry who simply wanted to make an old boy's network to further their interests when they took over from daddy. He certainly could not teach them mathematics and he wasn't alone in that I would guess.  Alice's husband was a typical example of 'new money' aspiring to belong to the gentry.  He went off shooting and fishing and generally just spent his inheritance on good living.

      I'm not sure paper qualifications counted that much in CLD's time.  A B.A. was essential for a clergyman but they were fairly easy to obtain if you had money and an M.A was simply obtained by eating so many dinners in house. People such as Huxley did break the mould but there were not many of them because of the class system.

      Message 114 of 114 , Aug 15 12:34 PM
        Which of the following is the odd one out?
        King Kong,Alice in Wonderland,the Archbishop of Canterbury,the Mad Hatter,an intellectual in Blair's Cabinet,the Wizard of Oz?
        Answer :
        the 3rd one the rest are fictional characters

        RICHARD ANTHONY <alicespiral@...> wrote:

        All these sites are linked on my own Yahoos

        > > > --Visit the biggest Alice picture sites on Yahoo
        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aliceontheweb>

        > an

        > > the

        > even
        > > > more fun!

        > > > visit our homepage  at:

        > > > to unsubscribe  send a blank email to:

        > > >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        > Yahoo!
        > > > Terms of Service.

        > > > ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features -
        > even
        > > more fun!
        > > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
        > > >

        > > > visit our homepage  at: