Re: [lewiscarroll] Inoltra: rainbow

  • Bryan Talbot
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
      In the booklet ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN OXFORD, Mavis Batey states that in
      1863, LC viewed the 10th century illuminated Caedmon manuscripts, exhibited
      at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, with I presume to be taken from his
      diaries. She goes on to say that the stylised figures in the illustrations
      inspired Haigha's "Anglo-Saxon attitudes". Can anyone tell me if this is
      fact or fancy?

      Bryan

      _______________________________________________ http://www.bryan-talbot.com

      ALICE IN SUNDERLAND homepage:

      http://www.bryan-talbot.com/alice/index.html

      Nice prints! Visit:

      http://podgallery.com/talbot

      Luther Arkwright website:

      http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
    • Keith Wright
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
        Bryan,

        there's nothing in the diaries that i can find for a visit to the Bodleian
        in 1863.

        As I read it Mavis Batey didn't actually say LC went there just that Lidell
        encouraged the librarian to put items on show.

        > In the booklet ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN OXFORD, Mavis Batey states that in
        > 1863, LC viewed the 10th century illuminated Caedmon manuscripts,
        > exhibited
        > at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, with I presume to be taken from his
        > diaries. She goes on to say that the stylised figures in the illustrations
        > inspired Haigha's "Anglo-Saxon attitudes". Can anyone tell me if this is
        > fact or fancy?
        >

        > Bryan

        > http://www.bryan-talbot.com
        >
        > ALICE IN SUNDERLAND homepage:
        >
        > http://www.bryan-talbot.com/alice/index.html
        >
        > Nice prints! Visit:
        >
        > http://podgallery.com/talbot
        >
        > Luther Arkwright website:
        >
        > http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
        >

        > visit our homepage at:

      • Bryan Talbot
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
          Keith,

          > there's nothing in the diaries that i can find for a visit to the Bodleian
          > in 1863.
          >
          > As I read it Mavis Batey didn't actually say LC went there just that Lidell
          > encouraged the librarian to put items on show.

          Looking at the text again, she doesn't actually say that he viewed the
          manuscripts but *does* say "Tenniel's illustration of the Anglo-Saxon
          messenger in THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS... ...records Alice's evident
          amusement at the extraordinary "Anglo-Saxon attitudes" of the figures in the
          Caedmon Genesis".

          This is stating that APL definitely saw it and in the company of LC - or at
          least relayed her feelings about it to him.

          I do have another booklet by her wherein (I seem to remember) she reiterates
          this story but it looks as if it's vanished under one of the piles of books
          in the studio.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
            I would say he probably did go to the Bodleian and perhaps with Alice
            Liddell - I just have no proof of it.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
              A friend in the US recently sent me a magazine she'd been saving for
              me for a while. I was blown away by the things in it. It's a craft
              magazine about paper arts, art stamping, letter arts, assemblages,
              collages, etc. and they got their readers to submit items on an Alice
              theme. The objects the readers made are stunning, ranging from a
              teapot to an amulet. Visually the most imaginative and inventive
              things - I was so impressed. If I were an Alice collector I'd love
              to own some of the items. The issue is for July /August 2003 Vol 7
              Issue 4. The website of the magazine is www.somersetstudio.com. I
              don't know if they have back issues available.
            • Ann Burt Meyer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
                Thank you for sharing this info, Jenny!! I just ordered a copy. It
                looks wonderful.
                AnnOxford

                On Friday, January 7, 2005, at 05:27 PM, jenny2write wrote:

                > A friend in the US recently sent me a magazine she'd been saving for
                > me for a while. I was blown away by the things in it. It's a craft
                > magazine about paper arts, art stamping, letter arts, assemblages,
                > collages, etc. and they got their readers to submit items on an Alice
                > theme. The objects the readers made are stunning, ranging from a
                > teapot to an amulet. Visually the most imaginative and inventive
                > things - I was so impressed.  If I were an Alice collector I'd love
                > to own some of the items. The issue is for July /August 2003 Vol 7
                > Issue 4. The website of the magazine is www.somersetstudio.com.  I
                > don't know if they have back issues available.
                >

                > visit our homepage  at:

                > to unsubscribe  send a blank email to:

                <image.tiff>

                Annie
              • yahoo@interdrama.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                  I went to the Somerset Studio website you mentioned, and they have 5
                  different magazines. What is the title of the magazine with the Lewis
                  Carrol material ??

                  Thanks.

                  AL ANDERSEN
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                    It;s just called "Somerset Studio, paper arts, art stamping, letter
                    arts". if you email them asking for the Alice in WOnderland issue of
                    July /Aug 2003 I should think they will be able to help. Good luck.
                    Jenny

                    --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, yahoo@i... wrote:

                    > I went to the Somerset Studio website you mentioned, and they have 5
                    > different magazines. What is the title of the magazine with the
                    Lewis
                    > Carrol material ??
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > AL ANDERSEN
                  • Ann Burt Meyer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                      Al,
                      The magazine you are looking for is just called Somerset Studio. Just
                      click on it and scroll until you see the Alice issue.
                      AnnOxford