Re: [lewiscarroll] Inoltra: rainbow

  • Ann Burt Meyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2004
      Ho visto questa meraviglia mentre aspettavo l'autobus.
      Prendiamolo come un segno di speranza nonostante tutto.
      Felice giorno nuovo.

      This morning I saw this wonderful rainbow in the sky, while I was waiting for the bus.
      Let's take it as a sign of hope against all odds.
      Happy new day.
      Adele Cammarata
    • Bryan Talbot
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
        In the booklet ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN OXFORD, Mavis Batey states that in
        1863, LC viewed the 10th century illuminated Caedmon manuscripts, exhibited
        at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, with I presume to be taken from his
        diaries. She goes on to say that the stylised figures in the illustrations
        inspired Haigha's "Anglo-Saxon attitudes". Can anyone tell me if this is
        fact or fancy?

        Bryan

        _______________________________________________ http://www.bryan-talbot.com

        ALICE IN SUNDERLAND homepage:

        http://www.bryan-talbot.com/alice/index.html

        Nice prints! Visit:

        http://podgallery.com/talbot

        Luther Arkwright website:

        http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
      • Keith Wright
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
          Bryan,

          there's nothing in the diaries that i can find for a visit to the Bodleian
          in 1863.

          As I read it Mavis Batey didn't actually say LC went there just that Lidell
          encouraged the librarian to put items on show.

          > In the booklet ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN OXFORD, Mavis Batey states that in
          > 1863, LC viewed the 10th century illuminated Caedmon manuscripts,
          > exhibited
          > at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, with I presume to be taken from his
          > diaries. She goes on to say that the stylised figures in the illustrations
          > inspired Haigha's "Anglo-Saxon attitudes". Can anyone tell me if this is
          > fact or fancy?
          >

          > Bryan

          > http://www.bryan-talbot.com
          >
          > ALICE IN SUNDERLAND homepage:
          >
          > http://www.bryan-talbot.com/alice/index.html
          >
          > Nice prints! Visit:
          >
          > http://podgallery.com/talbot
          >
          > Luther Arkwright website:
          >
          > http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
          >

          > visit our homepage at:

        • Bryan Talbot
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
            Keith,

            > there's nothing in the diaries that i can find for a visit to the Bodleian
            > in 1863.
            >
            > As I read it Mavis Batey didn't actually say LC went there just that Lidell
            > encouraged the librarian to put items on show.

            Looking at the text again, she doesn't actually say that he viewed the
            manuscripts but *does* say "Tenniel's illustration of the Anglo-Saxon
            messenger in THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS... ...records Alice's evident
            amusement at the extraordinary "Anglo-Saxon attitudes" of the figures in the
            Caedmon Genesis".

            This is stating that APL definitely saw it and in the company of LC - or at
            least relayed her feelings about it to him.

            I do have another booklet by her wherein (I seem to remember) she reiterates
            this story but it looks as if it's vanished under one of the piles of books
            in the studio.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2005
              I would say he probably did go to the Bodleian and perhaps with Alice
              Liddell - I just have no proof of it.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
                A friend in the US recently sent me a magazine she'd been saving for
                me for a while. I was blown away by the things in it. It's a craft
                magazine about paper arts, art stamping, letter arts, assemblages,
                collages, etc. and they got their readers to submit items on an Alice
                theme. The objects the readers made are stunning, ranging from a
                teapot to an amulet. Visually the most imaginative and inventive
                things - I was so impressed. If I were an Alice collector I'd love
                to own some of the items. The issue is for July /August 2003 Vol 7
                Issue 4. The website of the magazine is www.somersetstudio.com. I
                don't know if they have back issues available.
              • Ann Burt Meyer
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
                  Thank you for sharing this info, Jenny!! I just ordered a copy. It
                  looks wonderful.
                  AnnOxford

                  On Friday, January 7, 2005, at 05:27 PM, jenny2write wrote:

                  > A friend in the US recently sent me a magazine she'd been saving for
                  > me for a while. I was blown away by the things in it. It's a craft
                  > magazine about paper arts, art stamping, letter arts, assemblages,
                  > collages, etc. and they got their readers to submit items on an Alice
                  > theme. The objects the readers made are stunning, ranging from a
                  > teapot to an amulet. Visually the most imaginative and inventive
                  > things - I was so impressed.  If I were an Alice collector I'd love
                  > to own some of the items. The issue is for July /August 2003 Vol 7
                  > Issue 4. The website of the magazine is www.somersetstudio.com.  I
                  > don't know if they have back issues available.
                  >

                  > visit our homepage  at:

                  > to unsubscribe  send a blank email to:

                  <image.tiff>

                  Annie
                • yahoo@interdrama.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                    I went to the Somerset Studio website you mentioned, and they have 5
                    different magazines. What is the title of the magazine with the Lewis
                    Carrol material ??

                    Thanks.

                    AL ANDERSEN
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                      It;s just called "Somerset Studio, paper arts, art stamping, letter
                      arts". if you email them asking for the Alice in WOnderland issue of
                      July /Aug 2003 I should think they will be able to help. Good luck.
                      Jenny

                      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, yahoo@i... wrote:

                      > I went to the Somerset Studio website you mentioned, and they have 5
                      > different magazines. What is the title of the magazine with the
                      Lewis
                      > Carrol material ??
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > AL ANDERSEN
                    • Ann Burt Meyer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 8, 2005
                        Al,
                        The magazine you are looking for is just called Somerset Studio. Just
                        click on it and scroll until you see the Alice issue.
                        AnnOxford