Re: [lewiscarroll] Potter's "Alice"

  • Keith Wright
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 11:41 AM
      Probably the LC members crying over the travesty of the thing!

      Just treat it as a work of fiction.  It's just a cynical ploy to attract an audience to what is a mediocre film - it's like many other films but with an 'Alice' dimension badly tagged on because 'Alice' is known worldwide.  It has its interesting side, the scenery, but the plot is best regarded as a work of fiction.

      Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 6:45 PM
      Subject: Re: [lewiscarroll] Potter's "Alice"

      I looked around as the lights came up. The audience sat unmoving while the credits rolled, and I think everybody was crying
      Carol

      Keith Wright <keith@...> wrote:
      Dreamchild.

      As long as you realise it had little to do with the truth about CLD and Alice Liddell and just view it as a work of fiction!

      Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 12:27 AM
      Subject: [lewiscarroll] Potter's "Alice"

      I read in Sunday's NYT that Potter's "Pennies from Heaven" (BBC serial _and_ MGM version) are being issued in DVD format.

      About time they reissue _Dreamchild_, right?

      That film had a great impact on me and wonder if it had on others? (I find the final sequence by the river one of the most moving scenes in _any_ film).

      Cheers,

      JL

      visit our homepage  at:

      visit our homepage  at:

      Do you Yahoo!?

      visit our homepage  at:

    • Richard Anthony Astley-Clemas
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Wright" <keith@c...>
        wrote:
        > Probably the LC members crying over the travesty of the thing!
        >
        > Just treat it as a work of fiction. It's just a cynical ploy to
        attract an audience to what is a mediocre film - it's like many
        other films but with an 'Alice' dimension badly tagged on
        because 'Alice' is known worldwide. It has its interesting side,
        the scenery, but the plot is best regarded as a work of fiction.

        > Keith
        >
        > I thought it was excellent and when you consider that the late
        Dennis Potter was usually associated with off colour stuff it couod
        have been a disaster.But then I never understand critics.
        It was also a damn sight easier to understand than the Jonathan
        Miller one

        of Service.
      • Keith Wright
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
          Richard,

          if you are looking to be entertained then the Dreamchild film has all the
          ingredients but it's not the truth about the things that went on and it
          would be libellous if any of the main characters were alive to take out a
          lawsuit.

          If anyone wants to see such a film then there are plenty of works of
          fiction, it isn't necessary to exploit a real situation to gain the same
          effect. All such things give mis-information which folk who do not know
          about such things treat as gospel. Before anyone makes a comment about it -
          yes, I know Shakespeare did it as well!

          Miller's film is entirely different. He was taking a work of fiction,
          'Alice's Adventures' and putting on it his own interpretation. Because he
          is a smart alec himself, and somewhat pompous, he likes to leave his
          audience thinking. You can either think how wonderful it, or he is, or how
          daft he or it is but rarely can you be left not caring about it or him. But
          at the end of it you still see it as his interpretation and not as the
          truth.

          Keith
        • Richard Anthony Astley-Clemas
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
            wrote:
            > Richard,
            >
            > if you are looking to be entertained then the Dreamchild film has
            all the
            > ingredients but it's not the truth about the things that went on
            and it
            > would be libellous if any of the main characters were alive to
            take out a
            > lawsuit.
            >
            > If anyone wants to see such a film then there are plenty of works
            of
            > fiction, it isn't necessary to exploit a real situation to gain
            the same
            > effect. All such things give mis-information which folk who do
            not know
            > about such things treat as gospel. Before anyone makes a comment
            about it -
            > yes, I know Shakespeare did it as well!
            >
            > Miller's film is entirely different. He was taking a work of
            fiction,
            > 'Alice's Adventures' and putting on it his own interpretation.
            Because he
            > is a smart alec himself, and somewhat pompous, he likes to leave
            his
            > audience thinking. You can either think how wonderful it, or he
            is, or how
            > daft he or it is but rarely can you be left not caring about it or
            him. But
            > at the end of it you still see it as his interpretation and not as
            the
            > truth.
            > I was just pointing out how a writer like Dennis Potter could have
            made something which not even I as an Alice collector would have
            wanted.He kept it clean for a start which is more than you could say
            for Pennies from Heaven both the TV series and the film.Ken Russell
            is the same they can't do anything without nudity or whatever.
            You just have to hope Russell doesn't get the idea to do a movie on
            Lewis Carroll after that codswallop about Franz Liszt.
            Or maybe if he did to keep it silent like Tommy