Re: [LbNA] Re: What Would You Say?

  • Suzanne Coe
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 8, 2013
      First weekend in March, MizS. You should come & represent the Main Line. :)

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 10, 2013
        Last event I organized was at a fairly small private campground, and I felt compelled to tell the campground owners exactly what our group was doing. They were so interested in the activity they arranged for the community newspaper to have a reporter come there and interview some of us. If I didn't have to tell I wouldn't, just because it's a fairly complicated thing to explain. Scavenger hunt is something everyone knows, that's my first choice to tell when there are questions: "We are a hiking group and have organized a get-together with a sort of scavenger hunt as our main activity this year."

        I also really like the explanation someone else threw out - hiking and logging into points along the way to prove we've been there.

        Neither explanation is a lie, both are very simple to understand. Both explain why there are crazy people wandering around on the trails with their compasses looking confused. :)

        Come to think of it, I probably didn't even have to tell the park owners all about letterboxing - they would have been satisfied with either of the other two explanations.

        --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "sileagle1" wrote:

        > Not sure if anyone even looks at this List anymore but thought I would ask a question anyway. Every year when I host our LB Event I get asked by Park people and other curious onlookers what our group represents. In the beginning I told the truth and tried to explain letterboxing, but I quickly realized this caused more questions than I was prepared to answer and besides, I value the secrecy of letterboxing too much to expose it that way. For several years after that I would say we were a reunion of friends, and this worked ok but still did not explain why we were busily stamping into logbooks. Next I tried saying we were a craft club. This explained our activities in the building but not on the trails. Also, I got some strange looks from guy rangers obviously questioning my manhood. This is Texas after all. This year I was thinking of saying we are a Nature club. It would explain being on the trails and the logbooks could be notes on our nature finds. Of course this could backfire like it did for me one time when caught stamping in on a trail. Usually people will glance at you warily but continue on, but this person stopped and asked what I was doing. I quickly said I was taking notes on a bird I just heard so I could look it up when I got home. She then told me she was a birder and asked a bunch of questions about the bird and I had to imitate and describe this fictitious bird for 10 minutes!
        >
        > So what would you say if asked what your letterbox group is?
        >
        > Silver Eagle

      • darshonmassa
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 12, 2013
          I made up a double sided business card to hand out. It took about 6 months to figure out how to get it all on a business card! My computer crashed, and life is in the way right now, but eventually I will get it posted to atlasquest so everyone can use it. I put some in my boxes and plan to take a bunch to hand out, for people to hand out, at the S.I.L.O event this month.
          MOTHERDRAGON
        • Nathan Brown
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 13, 2013
            On 2/9/2013 12:15 AM, Suzanne Coe wrote:

            We still have room at the inn for one more, if interested. We are
            flying out of Philly on 28 Feb.

            > First weekend in March, MizS. You should come & represent the Main Line. :)

            Nathan Brown
            AKA Cyclonic

            The best things in life arn't things at all.
          • mizscarlet731
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
              Wish I could, leaving for FL today for a 2 week road trip.
              mizS

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
                Have a safe trip. Go find you some Kirbert boxes!

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
                  Geeze Louise he's got 399 boxes! I think he is from other side of FL so most his boxes are not near where I will be.