RE: [LbNA] What Is The Oldest Letterbox With Original Contents?

  • Debbie Kotlarek
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 27, 2012
      Funny, the oldest box in Wisconsin (Cave Point) was planted on exactly the
      same date! I'm pretty sure it is still in place. The last time I checked
      it still had the original stamp and 3 logbooks in the box, including the
      original logbook showing the planter's sig stamp and date. I took photos of
      the contents for posterity.

      Wisconsin Hiker

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 27, 2012
        That is incredible and my hat is off to you!

        Silver Eagle

        --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, Tom Cooch <thomascooch@...> wrote:

        > I posted a reply to this thread back in January, but think it is timely to post another now.
        >
        > I just returned from rehiding Rolling Rock Letterbox in Braintree, Vermont. I pulled it out two weeks ago and found the log to be a little damp. It is well dried now and back in place, exactly fourteen years after it was first salted (9/26/98).
        >
        > Rolling Rock was the second letterbox in Vermont, hidden shortly after Eric (The Vermont Viking)'s Prayer Rock letterbox. Prayer Rock is no longer extant, but Rolling Rock is ready for leaf peepers and any others who wish to come to Vermont this beautiful season.
        >
        > I believe Rolling Rock is the oldest surviving letterbox with its original contents.
        >
        > Here the link to the clues:
        >
        > http://homepages.sover.net/~tcooch/rolling.htm
        >

        > Tom Cooch
        > Braintree, Vermont
        >
        > The Orient Express
        >
        > "The game is afoot!"
        >
        > On Jan 2, 2012, at 9:17 AM, sileagle1 <sileagle@...> wrote:
        >
        > > As we start a new year, I thought it would be fun to reflect on the staying power of some early letterboxes. Nowadays it seems many boxes don't last more than a couple of years without going missing, being damaged or requiring a new log, so whenever I find a box over 5 years old it is special, especially if it has the original logbook and stamp.
        > >
        > > Here in Texas we have a letterbox called Lost Pines by Eoghan that was placed on November 4, 2000, and it still has undamaged original contents. How is this possible? I think the main reason is that it requires a longer hike than most people are willing to do, so has had few visitors. Also, the box is good quality (pre lock-n-lock) and is hidden well off the beaten path. My hat goes off to Eoghan for his hiding skills (he has a few more that are almost as old) and I would like to hear about any other original boxes as old or older.
        > >
        > > Silver Eagle
      • Phillip
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 28, 2012
          The Cave Point box was still in palce last July and doing well.

          Northstarr

          --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Kotlarek" <kotlarek@...> wrote:

          > Funny, the oldest box in Wisconsin (Cave Point) was planted on exactly the
          > same date! I'm pretty sure it is still in place. The last time I checked
          > it still had the original stamp and 3 logbooks in the box, including the
          > original logbook showing the planter's sig stamp and date. I took photos of
          > the contents for posterity.
          >

          > Wisconsin Hiker

        • mizscarlet731
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 28, 2012
            We have a few Mapsurfer boxes from '99 still intact.

            --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "sileagle1" <sileagle@...> wrote:

            > That is incredible and my hat is off to you!
            >
            > Silver Eagle
            >
            > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, Tom Cooch <thomascooch@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I posted a reply to this thread back in January, but think it is timely to post another now.
            > >
            > > I just returned from rehiding Rolling Rock Letterbox in Braintree, Vermont. I pulled it out two weeks ago and found the log to be a little damp. It is well dried now and back in place, exactly fourteen years after it was first salted (9/26/98).
            > >
            > > Rolling Rock was the second letterbox in Vermont, hidden shortly after Eric (The Vermont Viking)'s Prayer Rock letterbox. Prayer Rock is no longer extant, but Rolling Rock is ready for leaf peepers and any others who wish to come to Vermont this beautiful season.
            > >
            > > I believe Rolling Rock is the oldest surviving letterbox with its original contents.
            > >
            > > Here the link to the clues:
            > >
            > > http://homepages.sover.net/~tcooch/rolling.htm
            > >

            > > Tom Cooch
            > > Braintree, Vermont
            > >
            > > The Orient Express
            > >
            > > "The game is afoot!"
            > >
            > > On Jan 2, 2012, at 9:17 AM, sileagle1 <sileagle@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > As we start a new year, I thought it would be fun to reflect on the staying power of some early letterboxes. Nowadays it seems many boxes don't last more than a couple of years without going missing, being damaged or requiring a new log, so whenever I find a box over 5 years old it is special, especially if it has the original logbook and stamp.
            > > >
            > > > Here in Texas we have a letterbox called Lost Pines by Eoghan that was placed on November 4, 2000, and it still has undamaged original contents. How is this possible? I think the main reason is that it requires a longer hike than most people are willing to do, so has had few visitors. Also, the box is good quality (pre lock-n-lock) and is hidden well off the beaten path. My hat goes off to Eoghan for his hiding skills (he has a few more that are almost as old) and I would like to hear about any other original boxes as old or older.
            > > >
            > > > Silver Eagle

          • Lightnin Bug
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2012
              In addition to the Mapsurfers MizScarlet mentions (I need to check on those couple 98's up in Hickory Run SP), the Mt. Tammany box in NJ still has its original container and log, but a replacement stamp...

              So, close, but not cigar.

              LB

              --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "mizscarlet731" <mizscarlet731@...> wrote:

              > We have a few Mapsurfer boxes from '99 still intact.
              >
              > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "sileagle1" <sileagle@> wrote:
              > >
              > > That is incredible and my hat is off to you!
              > >
              > > Silver Eagle
              > >
              > > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, Tom Cooch <thomascooch@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I posted a reply to this thread back in January, but think it is timely to post another now.
              > > >
              > > > I just returned from rehiding Rolling Rock Letterbox in Braintree, Vermont. I pulled it out two weeks ago and found the log to be a little damp. It is well dried now and back in place, exactly fourteen years after it was first salted (9/26/98).
              > > >
              > > > Rolling Rock was the second letterbox in Vermont, hidden shortly after Eric (The Vermont Viking)'s Prayer Rock letterbox. Prayer Rock is no longer extant, but Rolling Rock is ready for leaf peepers and any others who wish to come to Vermont this beautiful season.
              > > >
              > > > I believe Rolling Rock is the oldest surviving letterbox with its original contents.
              > > >
              > > > Here the link to the clues:
              > > >
              > > > http://homepages.sover.net/~tcooch/rolling.htm
              > > >

              > > > Tom Cooch
              > > > Braintree, Vermont
              > > >
              > > > The Orient Express

            • kermit_boxer
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 8, 2012
                I've been working on finding the fourteen remaining Bolton Letterboxes (in Bolton, Mass) since I discovered their existence (in plain sight) in June of this year.

                Info here: http://webpages.charter.net/bglade/clues.html

                Bolton box #9, "Hear Ye Sheriff," was planted August 11, 2000, and remains perfectly, beautifully intact to this day. It still contains the original stamp, log, and notes from the original planters (as well as from Seekyr, Blaze, Mobius, and Pat and Wesley during their restorations from 2002-2004).

                My favorite series thus far for difficulty of clues, and the planters obvious adoration and devotion to their town, and the use of letterboxing to bring others to discover it.

                -mph (Kermit)

                --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "Lightnin Bug" <rpboehme@...> wrote:

                > In addition to the Mapsurfers MizScarlet mentions (I need to check on those couple 98's up in Hickory Run SP), the Mt. Tammany box in NJ still has its original container and log, but a replacement stamp...
                >
                > So, close, but not cigar.
                >
                > LB
                >
                > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "mizscarlet731" <mizscarlet731@> wrote:
                > >
                > > We have a few Mapsurfer boxes from '99 still intact.
                > >
                > > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "sileagle1" <sileagle@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > That is incredible and my hat is off to you!
                > > >
                > > > Silver Eagle

              • sileagle1
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 10, 2012
                  What a great idea for a series of letterboxes! I am constantly amazed at the creativeness of early boxers and preservation efforts by current boxers. Thanks for sharing and good luck finding them.

                  Silver Eagle

                  --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "kermit_boxer" <kermitboxer@...> wrote:

                  > I've been working on finding the fourteen remaining Bolton Letterboxes (in Bolton, Mass) since I discovered their existence (in plain sight) in June of this year.
                  >
                  > Info here: http://webpages.charter.net/bglade/clues.html
                  >
                  > Bolton box #9, "Hear Ye Sheriff," was planted August 11, 2000, and remains perfectly, beautifully intact to this day. It still contains the original stamp, log, and notes from the original planters (as well as from Seekyr, Blaze, Mobius, and Pat and Wesley during their restorations from 2002-2004).
                  >
                  > My favorite series thus far for difficulty of clues, and the planters obvious adoration and devotion to their town, and the use of letterboxing to bring others to discover it.
                  >
                  > -mph (Kermit)
                • upsderf2002
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 18, 2012
                    For those of you who are attending L & B in Groton, MA next year, there is Erik Davis' Listen my Children located nearby in Shirley Center. The box was planted in the summer of '99 along with his Town Pound box. These boxes were planted within the shadows of his boyhood home. Listen my Children still has the original logbbook. It contains the most moving and thoughtful entries as they transition through the impermanence of a man's life. I lingered at the location for quite some time after to collect my thoughts.

                    El Corazon Letterbox ESTABLISHED: August 22, 1998 was the first letterbox planted in MA and one of the first overall. It contains the original stamp, but I have no knowledge of the status of the logbook.