Re: Frustrating!

  • Ann Pfeil
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30 6:59 AM
      Aloha All! As a major geocacher that also letterboxes secondarily I'm sorry
      to hear of all the alleged problems with Geocachers. That saddens me. I
      was searching for a cache yesterday when I was pleasantly surprised when
      what I thought was the actual cache turned out to be a letterbox. Yea us!
      It was an easy find since it wasn't that well hidden. The actual geocache
      turned out to be an even easier find since it was laying out in the open
      with nothing near to have been hidden in or around. (sigh) Hopefully we've
      hidden both much better than found. In this case both the letterbox and
      geocache clearly stated what they were. The letterbox included the log
      book, slips of paper with the name and website, and a paper towel wrapped
      stamp. Unfortunately it did not include a stamp pad and ours was DRY! Dang
      it! Since we don't always read the cache pages prior to searching (driving
      home from work without the PDA) it was nice to read upon logging that the
      cache owner states that the letterbox is nearby and to please be sure and
      replace it as you would a geocache should you happen upon it. I do believe
      that the majority of cachers attempt to treat letterboxes as they would a
      geocache; especially those that have placed some of their own. Those same
      cachers are hopefully denoting the possibility of a letterbox in the area on
      their cache pages if they know about it. I know I did as soon as cachers
      started logging having found a letterbox that popped up right next to one of
      my caches placed years earlier.

      With all the "hunting" games out now (geocaching, terracaching,
      letterboxing) the cross contamination is probably going to be an even bigger
      issue in the future. (Last year, after finding a geocache we opted to visit
      the little civil war museum the cache took us to. The proprietor asked what
      brought us there and we told him and thanked him for allowing the placement.
      He then asked if we had found the letterbox and directed us to it.
      Wonderful! We signed and stamped. He then asked how we liked the cache
      "down there". Huh? That's not where we were. He walked us over so that we
      could find our first terracache. All three within a 150' radius!) Now we
      try and search all three categories when going to place a cache and will
      make reference to what is found on the cache page if applicable and mark our
      cache containers appropriately. It seems to be working for us.

      To Linda ~ hopefully you gave the cacher that removed your box a good
      talking to. That is unacceptable in any game. Especially if it indicated
      what it was within or on.

      Aloha! Ann

    • jim54invc
      Message 2 of 13 , May 30 7:02 AM
        Where was this? Please give me the name of the box, and a reasonably-close description of where it is. If I can, I will figure out which geocache it is, and I will write to the owner to ask that s/he write in the Description of the cache that there is a letterbox nearby. I can also post a Note on any geocache in the area, telling folks to make *sure* that they have a geocache, and not a letterbox.

        Also, have you written to the LB owner about this? There is a possibility that the cache was there first; I can't know until I know where this was, and which LBs and GCs were involved. I've seen it both ways, truly: boxes hidden when caches were already there, and caches hidden when boxes were already there. I've tried to work with both parties involved, to get the second one moved. It's not hard, usually, once the owners of each know what the deal is. Only once did I not get a reply, and that was long ago.

        One of the advantages of doing both is that I can help both.

        Jim (the other half of chaosmanor)

        --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, sweaters3@... wrote:

        > Three and a half mile hike. 90 degree temperatures. Humidity. Overgrown trail. Forgotten water bottle. Pesky, persistent deer flies. Found letterbox! Found journal. Found no stamp in the box. Found Geocacher card. ARRGHH!! No way back except the way we came. Frustrating!! On the upside, it is a letterboxing adventure we won't soon forget. :~) Socks3

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30 11:54 AM
          I did manage to track down the cacher through the geocaching website. Everything is resolved now. I was just surprised that he assumed it was no longer a valid letterbox simply because of the numbers on my trail name.

          --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "jim54invc" <chaosmanor47@...> wrote:

          > Where was this? Please give me the name of the box, and a reasonably-close description of where it is. If I can, I will figure out which geocache it is, and I will write to the owner to ask that s/he write in the Description of the cache that there is a letterbox nearby. I can also post a Note on any geocache in the area, telling folks to make *sure* that they have a geocache, and not a letterbox.
          >
          > Also, have you written to the LB owner about this? There is a possibility that the cache was there first; I can't know until I know where this was, and which LBs and GCs were involved. I've seen it both ways, truly: boxes hidden when caches were already there, and caches hidden when boxes were already there. I've tried to work with both parties involved, to get the second one moved. It's not hard, usually, once the owners of each know what the deal is. Only once did I not get a reply, and that was long ago.
          >
          > One of the advantages of doing both is that I can help both.
          >
          > Jim (the other half of chaosmanor)
          >
          > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, sweaters3@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Three and a half mile hike. 90 degree temperatures. Humidity. Overgrown trail. Forgotten water bottle. Pesky, persistent deer flies. Found letterbox! Found journal. Found no stamp in the box. Found Geocacher card. ARRGHH!! No way back except the way we came. Frustrating!! On the upside, it is a letterboxing adventure we won't soon forget. :~) Socks3

        • k.savino
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2012
            What is a geocacher card? Are they to stay in the box??

            --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Brown <Cyclonic07@...> wrote:

            > On 5/29/2012 12:14 PM, sweaters3@... wrote:
            > > Three and a half mile hike. 90 degree temperatures. Humidity. Overgrown trail. Forgotten water bottle. Pesky, persistent deer flies. Found letterbox! Found journal. Found no stamp in the box. Found Geocacher card. ARRGHH!! No way back except the way we came. Frustrating!! On the upside, it is a letterboxing adventure we won't soon forget. :~) Socks3
            > >

            > > ------------------------------------
            > >

            > That is how you sometimes have to look at it.
            >
            > Makes me wonder, I almost feel like I want to take all of the junk out
            > of the geocaches I accidentally find. I won't, I am better then that,
            > but it makes me want to.
            >
            > --
            > Nathan Brown
            > AKA Cyclonic
            >
            > The best things in life arn't things at all.

          • Suzanne Coe
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 23, 2012
              It's a card left by a geocacher who thought the letterbox was a geocache. Geocaching is a finding-and-trading game--you take something from the cache, you leave something of yours. In this case, the cacher left his/her card & took the stamp. :( It happens. Sometimes writing "Not For Trade" on the stamp will prevent it....
              The card has no relevance as far as the box is concerned.
              Sheba

            • sweaters3@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 24, 2012
                Sheeba, thanks for the great reply! (I have been away from the computer for a bit and just now saw this post.) Great explanation ~ thanks! Socks3