[letterbox-usa] New list

  • Daniel Servatius
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 1998
      To all concerned:

      This is an experiment with a free talk list that
      Mitch Klink of Oregon told me about.
      Here is the e-mail address of the newly
      created talk list:
      mailto:letterbox-usa@egroups.com

      More free lists can be created.

      It works the same as other talk lists
      according to what I've been told.
      We'll see how this one goes in the next few days.
      According to Mitch, it will be virtually
      the same as other exclusive lists, except free.

      I had the option of leaving it unmoderated, which
      I did, and of leaving it open to anyone which I
      also did. The list of members is open to all
      members also, and not just me.

      See you!
      Dan'
    • Rick from Boca
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2008
        Happy Anniversary, group list! Established ten years ago Oct 11, 1998.
        --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Servatius <elf@...>
        wrote:

        > To all concerned:
        >
        > This is an experiment with a free talk list that
        > Mitch Klink of Oregon told me about.
        > Here is the e-mail address of the newly
        > created talk list:
        > mailto:letterbox-usa@egroups.com
        >
        > More free lists can be created.
        >
        > It works the same as other talk lists
        > according to what I've been told.
        > We'll see how this one goes in the next few days.
        > According to Mitch, it will be virtually
        > the same as other exclusive lists, except free.
        >
        > I had the option of leaving it unmoderated, which
        > I did, and of leaving it open to anyone which I
        > also did. The list of members is open to all
        > members also, and not just me.
        >
        > See you!
        > Dan'

        group
        > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

      • Mark Pepe
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2008
          Thanks for the reminder!

          And for those of you more interested in reading about that early history, we
          encourage you to read the old archives of this talk list and to visit our
          Interview Series on our blog.

          We've done interviews over the years with some of letterboxing's pioneers -
          including Dan Servatius and Mitch Klink!

          Happy anniversary!!

          Mark

          http://interviewseries.blogspot.com/

          Happy Anniversary, group list! Established ten years ago Oct 11, 1998.
          --- In letterbox-usa@ <mailto:letterbox-usa%40yahoogroups.com>
          wrote:

          > To all concerned:
          >
          > This is an experiment with a free talk list that
          > Mitch Klink of Oregon told me about.
          > Here is the e-mail address of the newly
          > created talk list:
          > mailto:letterbox-usa@ <mailto:letterbox-usa%40egroups.com> egroups.com
          >
          > More free lists can be created.
          >
          > It works the same as other talk lists
          > according to what I've been told.
          > We'll see how this one goes in the next few days.
          > According to Mitch, it will be virtually
          > the same as other exclusive lists, except free.
          >
          > I had the option of leaving it unmoderated, which
          > I did, and of leaving it open to anyone which I
          > also did. The list of members is open to all
          > members also, and not just me.
          >
          > See you!
          > Dan'

          group
          > at http://www.eGroups <http://www.eGroups.com> com -- Free Web-based
          e-mail groups.

        • Silver Eagle
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2008
            I would like to know how many letterboxers from those early days are
            still participating? I know Der Mad Stamper is back after a hiatus,
            but would love to hear from others, especially if they haven't posted
            in a while.

            Silver Eagle

            --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "Rick from Boca"
            <rick_in_boca@...> wrote:

            > Happy Anniversary, group list! Established ten years ago Oct 11,
            1998.
            > --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Servatius <elf@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > To all concerned:
            > >
            > > This is an experiment with a free talk list that
            > > Mitch Klink of Oregon told me about.
            > > Here is the e-mail address of the newly
            > > created talk list:
            > > mailto:letterbox-usa@egroups.com
            > >
            > > More free lists can be created.
            > >
            > > It works the same as other talk lists
            > > according to what I've been told.
            > > We'll see how this one goes in the next few days.
            > > According to Mitch, it will be virtually
            > > the same as other exclusive lists, except free.
            > >
            > > I had the option of leaving it unmoderated, which
            > > I did, and of leaving it open to anyone which I
            > > also did. The list of members is open to all
            > > members also, and not just me.
            > >
            > > See you!
            > > Dan'

            > group
            > > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

          • Randy Hall
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2008
              Silver Eagle wrote:
              > I would like to know how many letterboxers from those early days are
              > still participating?

              I still play, FWIW.
            • AC
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2008
                I found my first box in March of 2001 on what started out to be a beautiful early spring day and
                quickly turned a freezing, drab, rainy and incredibly windy late winter day with a not to great set
                of clues whose primary clue was the triangle rock set in the trail. of which there were about 50!
                It's a wonder I ever stuck with it!

                Talking Turtle

                > I would like to know how many letterboxers from those early days are still participating?

              • Kimberly Calcagno
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2008
                  I still lurk here on the list. CSCM and I still box occasionally. Our house
                  renovation projects have been eating our lives!

                  -Kim (Rustypuff)

                  _____

                  <rick_in_boca@...> wrote:

                  > Happy Anniversary, group list! Established ten years ago Oct 11,
                  1998.
                  > --- In letterbox-usa@ <mailto:letterbox-usa%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com, Daniel Servatius <elf@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > To all concerned:
                  > >
                  > > This is an experiment with a free talk list that
                  > > Mitch Klink of Oregon told me about.
                  > > Here is the e-mail address of the newly
                  > > created talk list:
                  > > mailto:letterbox-usa@ <mailto:letterbox-usa%40egroups.com> egroups.com
                  > >
                  > > More free lists can be created.
                  > >
                  > > It works the same as other talk lists
                  > > according to what I've been told.
                  > > We'll see how this one goes in the next few days.
                  > > According to Mitch, it will be virtually
                  > > the same as other exclusive lists, except free.
                  > >
                  > > I had the option of leaving it unmoderated, which
                  > > I did, and of leaving it open to anyone which I
                  > > also did. The list of members is open to all
                  > > members also, and not just me.
                  > >
                  > > See you!
                  > > Dan'

                  > group
                  > > at http://www.eGroups <http://www.eGroups.com> com -- Free Web-based
                  e-mail groups.

                • Dave & Deanne

                    <rick_in_boca@...> wrote:

                    > Happy Anniversary, group list! Established ten years ago Oct 11,
                    1998.
                    > --- In letterbox-usa@ <mailto:letterbox-usa%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com, Daniel Servatius <elf@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > To all concerned:
                    > >
                    > > This is an experiment with a free talk list that
                    > > Mitch Klink of Oregon told me about.
                    > > Here is the e-mail address of the newly
                    > > created talk list:
                    > > mailto:letterbox-usa@ <mailto:letterbox-usa%40egroups.com> egroups.com
                    > >
                    > > More free lists can be created.
                    > >
                    > > It works the same as other talk lists
                    > > according to what I've been told.
                    > > We'll see how this one goes in the next few days.
                    > > According to Mitch, it will be virtually
                    > > the same as other exclusive lists, except free.
                    > >
                    > > I had the option of leaving it unmoderated, which
                    > > I did, and of leaving it open to anyone which I
                    > > also did. The list of members is open to all
                    > > members also, and not just me.
                    > >
                    > > See you!
                    > > Dan'

                    > group
                    > > at http://www.eGroups <http://www.eGroups.com> com -- Free Web-based
                    e-mail groups.

                  • gwendontoo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2008
                      We still play.Don & Gwen.

                      I still remember going back to our first find 3 times before we found
                      the clues to the bonus box in the back of the logbook.

                      Don
                    • toadkiller3
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 13, 2008
                        We just started, and I've been reading the list only recently.

                        Is being on this one and the new list the most informative? One is not
                        replacing the other, correct?

                        I tried emailing a letterboxer wondering if their boxes were still
                        around as they had listed on the site, but hadn't been updated for a
                        few years, and never heard back. So do you just head out and see if
                        they're still there?
                      • gwendontoo
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 13, 2008
                          There are many chatlists, and this is the oldest of them.

                          Why not go out and see if you can find the letterboxes without trying
                          to contact placers. Sometimes the thrill is in the finding without
                          help.

                          Don

                          --- In letterbox-usa@yahoogroups.com, "toadkiller3" <toadkiller3@...>