[SOTA] TypeCon '98 Update

  • Bob Colby
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 1998
      Dear LETPRESSers:

      The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA for short) would like to inform
      you of the following developments concerning our conference (TypeCon '98
      (Oct 30 - Nov 1,Westborough Marriott in Westborough, Ma.):

      1) In addition to Principal Speaker Matthew Carter, we now have 15 other
      program participants, and expect to be adding many more in the coming
      months.
      2) A preliminary list of program topics (both panels and
      lectures/presentations) is now available on our website. Not all of the
      panels will make the "final cut", but taken together they should give you a
      good idea of the kind of discussions we're going to be having.
      3) Thanks to the folks at UNION Type Supply, we can now accept American
      Express, Visa, and Mastercard for conference registration fees ($45 until
      9/18/98, $55 thereafter and at the door). You can now register online
      through a secure form, or send email to sota@... with your card
      information (name, card type and number, address, expiration date), or mail
      a check (payable to Society of Typographic Aficionados) or card info to SOTA
      at P.O. Box 673, Mansfield, Ma. 02048-0673.
      4) During the conference, our venue (the Westborough Marriott) is offering
      discounted TypeCon room rates of $68 (single/double) plus 9.7% tax. These
      rates are available by calling the hotel *directly* (not through the chain
      800#) at 508/366-5511 and mentioning TypeCon.
      5) Exhibitors in "The Foundry" (our vendor area) now include UNION Type
      Supply, P22 Font Foundry, Veatch Arts of the Book, Serif: The Magazine of
      Type & Typography, Astigmatic One Eye Font Foundry, Michael Borden
      Bookseller, and Sooy Type Foundry. We expect an exciting selection of unique
      vendors you may not see elsewhere!
      6) If you can't make it this year but would still like to support our work,
      Supporting Memberships in TypeCon '98 are available for $15. These entitle
      you to all of the conference publications (two Progress Reports, Program
      Guide, and Souvenir Book), and are convertible to Attending Memberships by
      paying the difference at the rate then in effect.
      7) See our website (http://tjup.truman.edu/sota) for all the latest details,
      or ask us any questions you might have at sota@....

      TypeCon is designed to be a friendly, intimate, affordable weekend for a few
      hundred type lovers of all sorts (type and graphic designers, large and
      small publishers, people who want to make their business and personal
      documents look better, and aficionados of typography and the bookmaking
      arts). Join us!

      To LETPRESSers who also read BOOK_ARTS-L, TYPO-L, GRAPHICS or other
      type-related lists, we apologize if you've read this more than once!

      Bob Colby (for SOTA)