Re: Artcraft and the Australian Type Foundry

  • Paul Duensing
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
      Hi David and Grant:

      In regard to the source of Artcraft, its later progress, etc. I just hate it
      when all I can offer is to complicate the problem further but Truth demands
      it. I refer to your mention of Wimbles Type Foundry. Some years ago I had some
      correspondence with Darrell Fitzhardinge-Bailey (St. Aubyn 15, Dutton Street,
      Bankstown, NSW, Australia 2200) and the subject of this Aussie foundry came
      up. He told me that it never existed in terms of having equipment and casting
      letters of lead. He said that every letter and space was cast in New Jersey
      and shipped down under with the Wimbles wrappers, but he was quite adamant
      that no casting took place in Australia. He even loaned me their catalog (as I
      recall about 8.5"x 11"" and 2" thick) which was quite convincing. Well, I have
      to go with his expertise and can only assume that ATF agreed to this system,
      perhaps because of local duties and customs rules. What the further adventures
      of this design were, I leave to you typographic detectives to figure out. But
      I thought you might like to know of this esoteric little quirk in its history.

      Cheers, Paul Hayden Duensing
    • Grant Stott
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
        Paul Duensing wrote:

        > Hi David and Grant:
        >
        > In regard to the source of Artcraft, its later progress, etc. I just hate it
        > when all I can offer is to complicate the problem further but Truth demands
        > it. I refer to your mention of Wimbles Type Foundry. Some years ago I had some
        > correspondence with Darrell Fitzhardinge-Bailey (St. Aubyn 15, Dutton Street,
        > Bankstown, NSW, Australia 2200) and the subject of this Aussie foundry came
        > up. He told me that it never existed in terms of having equipment and casting
        > letters of lead. He said that every letter and space was cast in New Jersey
        > and shipped down under with the Wimbles wrappers, but he was quite adamant
        > that no casting took place in Australia. He even loaned me their catalog (as I
        > recall about 8.5"x 11"" and 2" thick) which was quite convincing. Well, I have
        > to go with his expertise and can only assume that ATF agreed to this system,
        > perhaps because of local duties and customs rules. What the further adventures
        > of this design were, I leave to you typographic detectives to figure out. But
        > I thought you might like to know of this esoteric little quirk in its history.
        >
        > Cheers, Paul Hayden Duensing

        Hi Paul,

        I am sorry to say that your correspondent was wrong because in 1956 my
        sister was employed at F.T Wimble's typefoundry in Sydney as a
        typefinisher. Her job was to break of the tang on the bottom of each
        piece of cast type and file the bottom so that the type had two feet. In
        1956, I myself saw their casting room at a time when I was purchasing
        some type from them. I was led to believe then that most of their mats
        came from ATF with whom they must have had some licensing agreement.

        I have also seen their advertisements from early this century where they
        said that they were now casting type according to the American point
        system.

        I can't imagine where your correspondent could have obtained his
        information.

        Thanks for your contribution, anyway.

        Grant.
      • David Norton
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
          Didn't ATF have a similar arrangement with Kelsey?
          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 1999
            Hi Grant:

            Glad to get your input on the Down Under type foundry. I don't know if
            Darrell has e-mail, but you really should copy off your reply and send it to
            him. If for no other reason than that he was so firm in his statement that
            they never cast in Australia.

            Good for your input. Now that's one less thing I have to worry about.

            Cheers, Paul