Disaster

  • Anthony Whitmarsh
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2001
      This is FUN. Keep the titles coming folks.

      I have no objection to any Letpress groupie copying any of my modest attempts
      at poetry, with the normal acknowledgements to me and our List.

      Are you still there Bob? Please let us know how you are coping, we are all
      rooting for you.

      This has all gone to my head! My next number will be......."Elegy in a
      Highland Printery"

      TW

      Four Winds Press, Studio Highveld, IV26 2SZ, Scotland.
    • Geoff Moor
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2001
        Watch out that it is not yours! Oops, thought you said "Eulogy"

        How about - "Fore!!! and Twenty Plantins all in a Pie"

        Geoff

        --
        .--------------, Geoff Moor, Vintage Services
        ._______|:¯¯¯:¯¯¯:¯¯¯|| Vintage Charter Service
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2001
          Thank you Tony, for your splendid verse contribution. I've re-ordered some of the smaller Plantin faces, but will sort the 12/14/18pt faces over the next few months. Mr Horsfall, former proprietor of Startype (Birstall), now runs Startype, and has all the pied Plantin weights and sizes I can't be bothered to sort.

          I asked my insurer if I had any cover, but their helpline staff simply couldn't understand what 'type' is. The first person I spoke to genuinely couldn't comprehend the principle of letterpress. I guess she was in her mid-twenties. It might make an interesting experiment to take a piece of 36pt type onto a busy city centre street and ask 100 people what they think it is...

          Bob R
          London
        • Stan Nelson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2001
            Several thoughts:

            Steve Saxe will know the details, but there was a foundry in which the shelves holding their entire stock of wrapped fonts collapsed, spilling the lot on the floor. The insurer wouldn't pay for the loss, as the type was still there - - just pied!

            My first fonts were acquired in quart Mason jars. They were a series of 6 and 12 point Copperplate Gothic, three or four faces to each body; plus other miscellaneous sort - - all pied. It's amazing what you'll tackle when you just don't know any better.

            We had dinner at Nicholas Barker's in London, many years ago. His son was setting up a keepsake in the other room, when we heard the musical sound of a metallic cascade, followed by a bang and a clatter. Somehow the case had gotten away from him, all pied. He was not a happy camper. Nicholas took it all in stride. We agreed that someone would be busy for awhile, putting things right.

            Stan

            >>> InkSprite@... 06/01/01 11:03AM >>>
            Thank you Tony, for your splendid verse contribution. I've re-ordered some of the smaller Plantin faces, but will sort the 12/14/18pt faces over the next few months. Mr Horsfall, former proprietor of Startype (Birstall), now runs Startype, and has all the pied Plantin weights and sizes I can't be bothered to sort.

            I asked my insurer if I had any cover, but their helpline staff simply couldn't understand what 'type' is. The first person I spoke to genuinely couldn't comprehend the principle of letterpress. I guess she was in her mid-twenties. It might make an interesting experiment to take a piece of 36pt type onto a busy city centre street and ask 100 people what they think it is...

            Bob R
            London
          • Alan Brignull
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2001
              I had the same problem when moving house -- the removal company made a great
              thing of how good their insurance was in case of damage in transit but when
              I asked about pied type they just didn't know what I was talking about and I
              eventually gave up trying to explain.

              How about having a BPS branch meeting at your house and run a sorting
              competition?

              Commiserations

              Alan

              ----------
              >From: Bob Richardson <InkSprite@...>

              > I asked my insurer if I had any cover, but their helpline staff simply
              > couldn't understand what 'type' is. The first person I spoke to genuinely
              > couldn't comprehend the principle of letterpress. I guess she was in her
              > mid-twenties. It might make an interesting experiment to take a piece of 36pt
              type onto a busy city centre street and ask 100 people what they think it
              is...

              > Bob R
              > London
            • Brian Russell
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2001
                I can just remember years ago working on the Express (i.e. The Daily Express
                in the UK ;  once a proper newspaper), while not quite concerntrating,
                pulling a broadsheet page off the moulding press back onto a forme trolley,
                which was not quite flush with the press, when that awful sound of half a
                hundred weight of type (only linotype at that) , like whoosh ! - you never
                forget.

                Standing in a mass of type and staring at an empty chase, all I could hear
                was the entire comp room cheering in derision. But the page was to go again
                on the next edition with a few changes, in less than half an hour.

                After the laughter had subsided, some twenty or so of us piled in and put the
                lot together. Half an hour later, when the page was due to go, it was nowhere
                near ready. Seven of the eight other change pages, including page one, were
                finished, moulded and plates cast into the press room.

                We were still putting the pied page together when the message had got round
                the building. "Where the ****s page eight ? roared the voice on the end of
                the line from the press room ! " "It's that Russell bloke again" I replied,
                he's sending you it down a line at a time !"

                Anyway, somehow we got it sorted and the edition went out about ten minutes
                late. As most of the editorial staff were still in the pub, no-one noticed
                the few hundred lines jumbled up, least of all the readers !

                Don't depair Bob and others. It was my worst experience. But I learnt NEVER
                to do it again (I hope !). Why not organise a BPS branch meeting  at your
                place with a prize for the first to clear the floor of type? It's surprising
                how quickly several hands can put things back as they were. Anyway, hope to
                see you at the Solent Open Day on 16 June. Bring a few bits of Plantin along
                for us to sort.

                Brian Russell
                Shrewsbury UK
              • mike.jacobs
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2001
                  Alan,
                  There is one planned for Monday. Maidenhead and London Branches get
                  together.
                  Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
                  > I had the same problem when moving house -- the removal company made a
                  great
                  > thing of how good their insurance was in case of damage in transit but
                  when
                  > I asked about pied type they just didn't know what I was talking about and
                  > eventually gave up trying to explain.
                  >
                  > How about having a BPS branch meeting at your house and run a sorting
                  > competition?
                  >
                  > Commiserations
                  >
                  > Alan
                  >
                  > ----------
                  > >From: Bob Richardson <InkSprite@...>
                  >
                  > > I asked my insurer if I had any cover, but their helpline staff simply
                  > > couldn't understand what 'type' is. The first person I spoke to
                  genuinely
                  > > couldn't comprehend the principle of letterpress. I guess she was in her
                  > > mid-twenties. It might make an interesting experiment to take a piece of
                  36pt
                  > type onto a busy city centre street and ask 100 people what they think it
                  > is...
                  > >
                  > > Bob R
                  > > London
                • Michael Phillips
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2001
                    Obviously I can think of something better to put in a Mason jar than type.
                    > Steve Saxe will know the details, but there was a foundry in which the
                    shelves holding their entire stock of wrapped fonts collapsed, spilling the
                    lot on the floor. The insurer wouldn't pay for the loss, as the type was
                    still there - - just pied!

                    > My first fonts were acquired in quart Mason jars. They were a series of 6
                    and 12 point Copperplate Gothic, three or four faces to each body; plus
                    other miscellaneous sort - - all pied. It's amazing what you'll tackle when
                    you just don't know any better.

                    > We had dinner at Nicholas Barker's in London, many years ago. His son
                    was setting up a keepsake in the other room, when we heard the musical sound
                    of a metallic cascade, followed by a bang and a clatter. Somehow the case
                    had gotten away from him, all pied. He was not a happy camper. Nicholas
                    took it all in stride. We agreed that someone would be busy for awhile,
                    putting things right.

                    > Stan

                    > Thank you Tony, for your splendid verse contribution. I've re-ordered some
                    of the smaller Plantin faces, but will sort the 12/14/18pt faces over the
                    next few months. Mr Horsfall, former proprietor of Startype (Birstall), now
                    runs Startype, and has all the pied Plantin weights and sizes I can't be
                    bothered to sort.

                    > I asked my insurer if I had any cover, but their helpline staff simply
                    couldn't understand what 'type' is. The first person I spoke to genuinely
                    couldn't comprehend the principle of letterpress. I guess she was in her
                    mid-twenties. It might make an interesting experiment to take a piece of
                    36pt type onto a busy city centre street and ask 100 people what they think
                    it is...

                    > Bob R
                    > London

                  • Roland A. Paquette
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2001
                      I can think of something better to put in a Mason jar too. However the
                      Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms takes a very dim view of this
                      sort of entrepreneurial endeavor.

                      Yours,