Re: Seattle Earthquake up-date

  • Homestead Press
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
      This worries me, Carl, I think you should send all your 19th Century types, ornaments, and specimen books here for safe keeping. You can't be too careful these days.  [;~)

      Glad all is okay.

      We felt tremors here In NW Montana.

      Any news of the survival of the wonderful Thornly type collection? Better send that as well.

      W/best regards, J. Mike

[...]

      • Ambrosi Printers
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
          Dear Mike Powers

          You have the best ideas.  Listen everybody,  send all your good stuff  to my dear  and good friend Mike Powers in Libby, Montana (the last bastion of free thinking printers in North America)  for safekeeping.

          With the very best intentions

          I remain             Phil Ambrosi

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
            Post Paid, of course!  [;~}>

            Anon
[...]

          • Geoff Moor
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
              Better still, get 'em right out of the country. Store them for free in
              another hemisphere - you pay the freight. Guaranteed to look after them
              and give them an occasional impression so they don't forget the purpose
              for which they were made. I'll even read the books for you.

              Geoff

              --
              .--------------, Geoff Moor, Vintage Services
              ._______|:¯¯¯:¯¯¯:¯¯¯|| Vintage Charter Service
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
                No No No!

                Much too cold in Montana for the type. It will get brittle and break
                when you use it!

                Much better to send it here to me in Florida where the gentle warmth
                will keep it happy in it's old age! }:~D }:~D }:~D

                Glad to know your OK Carl. Saw some nasty pictures of cars mashed by
                fallen building facades. Hope thats the last one for a good long while.

                Roland

                P.S. Marjorie, That's why Disney's original tickets for the best rides
                were "E" tickets! }:~}
              • David Norton
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
                  Please don't send it to Florida where the heat will make the type so soft
                  it's squish down. Here in central New York we have just the right climate
                  for type--I have some 150 years old and still printing--and I have space
                  for a few more fonts, so send it to me.
                  Dave

                  On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Roland A. Paquette wrote:

                  > No No No!
                  >
                  > Much too cold in Montana for the type. It will get brittle and break
                  > when you use it!
                  >
                  > Much better to send it here to me in Florida where the gentle warmth
                  > will keep it happy in it's old age! }:~D }:~D }:~D
                  >
                  > Glad to know your OK Carl. Saw some nasty pictures of cars mashed by
                  > fallen building facades. Hope thats the last one for a good long while.
                  >
                  > Roland
                  >
                  > P.S. Marjorie, That's why Disney's original tickets for the best rides
                  > were "E" tickets! }:~}

                • Montford
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
                    I hate to disappoint all you kind folks wanting to give my endangered type a
                    good home, but I think I can manage to keep it safe. When we added on to my
                    studio, the building code required we frame the addition in with 5x8 inch
                    steel I beams. I didn't think that was necessary, but now I have different
                    thoughts. The addition doesn't even have a crack in it! Therefore, my fine
                    benevolent friends, I'll just hang on to my precious stuff for now, but
                    thanks for the offer...Carl, slightly shaken Montford
                    > Please don't send it to Florida where the heat will make the type so soft
                    > it's squish down. Here in central New York we have just the right climate
                    > for type--I have some 150 years old and still printing--and I have space
                    > for a few more fonts, so send it to me.
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Roland A. Paquette wrote:
                    >
                    > > No No No!
                    > >
                    > > Much too cold in Montana for the type. It will get brittle and break
                    > > when you use it!
                    > >
                    > > Much better to send it here to me in Florida where the gentle warmth
                    > > will keep it happy in it's old age! }:~D }:~D }:~D
                    > >
                    > > Glad to know your OK Carl. Saw some nasty pictures of cars mashed by
                    > > fallen building facades. Hope thats the last one for a good long while.
                    > >
                    > > Roland
                    > >
                    > > P.S. Marjorie, That's why Disney's original tickets for the best rides
                    > > were "E" tickets! }:~}

                  • Homestead Press
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2001
                      Yes, but what of the famous Thornily Type collection down town?  J. Mike