Re: Signs

  • mike.jacobs
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
      Welcome to the club !!!!! :-)
      Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 11:21 PM
      Subject: Signs

              Forgive an old fool...

                      Chris Simonds
    • Stephen W. Fisher
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
        This mis spelling and poor aparent grammer in shop windows is sometimes
        deliberate to entice customers into the store to point out the apparent
        error and in so doing they mostly buy something while they are in.
      • Ken Davis
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
          Yes,they entice angered solid citizens to burst in and give them a savage
          reprimand. Afterwards,anger abating,dazzled by the quality merchandise,the
          the customer goes into a buying frenzy. Thus,the merchant becomes hopefuller
          that his retirement will be secure and lavishly funded.
        • Dawn.Black (Exchange)
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
            The one that always makes me smile is the sign in the bakery window: "get
            your buns in here"

            > ----------

          • emay1
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
              Then there is the Oriental restaurant sign; WOK RIGHT IN !

              (moan)
            • David Norton
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                Probably done purposely to give you a grin. My favorite along those lines
                is the dentist's "We treat cowards" I'm grinnin' now just thinking about
                it.

                On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Dawn.Black (Exchange) wrote:

                > The one that always makes me smile is the sign in the bakery window: "get
                > your buns in here"
                >
                > > ----------

              • Suzanne McCarthy
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                  In a message dated 02/01/01 3:58:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  mranders@... writes:

                  << Just now noticed the following in front of a fire station on their
                  bulletin board:
                  No Bing fi nite >>

                  This makes me recall a sign posted in a college lecture hall:

                  NOS
                  MOKING

                  Suzanne (who's also enjoying this tour of signage)
                  Traverse City, Michigan, USA
                • Mike & Suzanne Anderson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                    Just now noticed the following in front of a fire station on their
                    bulletin board:
                    No Bing fi nite

                    I think they did a great job with the limited character set of 2"
                    plastic characters - they got their message across - they communicated.

                    In fact, they communicated a hell of a lot better than some on this
                    list.

                    About the Chinese restaurant - a friend of mind was laughing and making
                    fun of some hand lettered specials on the menu - I told him that they
                    had done a far better job of getting their message across in English -
                    their new language, then he could in Cantonese. He quit laughing.

                    If every time I post something to this list and have to worry if some
                    dumb skull, nit wit, nit picker is going to red line an error - then
                    this is the wrong place for me.

                    I enjoy reading the input from others. I enjoy trying to contribute
                    something to the list, but I'll be damned if I have the time, nor the
                    inclination to set down and worry about dotting every "i" and crossing
                    every "t," when my intent is to communicate.

                    English is a living language, it is changing, growing and becoming
                    different than what it was yesterday and what it is today - grow up
                    folks, read the messages, and knock off the critiquing.

                    mike A.

                    p.s. the signs are fun, interesting and nice to share.

                    At Random Press
                    Mike & Suzanne Anderson
                    Port Republic, Maryland (USA)
                  • Roland A. Paquette
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                      Chris,

                      Your letter reminds me of old Richard.

                      He was a wonderful gentleman from Sweden who had been trained as a
                      Classical Portrait Painter. He moved here to the United States and
                      unable to find much work doing portraits opened a sign shop.

                      All his signs and the lettering he did on our trucks was all by hand
                      with no guides other than a few small crayon marks delineating the
                      borders of the area the sign was to occupy.

                      It would take him most of a day to letter both sides of a truck but Dad
                      was always more than happy to pay his price. The signage was a work of
                      art.

                      I still remember asking him why he didn't use masking tape like other
                      painters did to measure off the fields and he said anyone who has to use
                      a crutch like that had no business calling himself a painter.

                      Sadly he's retired now, the arthritis in his hands so bad he can't hold
                      a brush any more.

                      Yours,

                      Roland

                      Orchid's Letterpress
                      Winter Garden, Florida
                      United States
                    • Martin R Gutzmer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 1, 2001
                        I have a dear friend Bob Potter in the Carolinas now who paints signs by
                        hand
                        Once told me a story of doing 8 foot tall letters (how many points is that)
                        on the side of a Chevrolet dealership spelled CHEVOLET
                        Got it ALL done before the boss noticed!!
                        God BLess, Martin
                      • Gregory A. Martin
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                          Many years ago I owned a sailing boat that was moored not far from Sydney,
                          it was a very very expensive disaster,
                          it was rotting on the water, a buggar to sail, ugly, uncomfortable - nothing
                          about it gave me any pleasure, a classic first purchase mistake. Every day
                          I had to drive to the boat to pump the water out and on the way I would see
                          this mocking sign on a marina - "BE A CAPTAIN, BUY A BOAT" - a daily kick
                          in the guts and wallet.

                          greg
                        • Yehuda Miklaf
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                            My favorite remains:

                            REPUTABLE SINCE 1955

                            over a greasy spoon in Toronto.

                            Yehuda Miklaf
                          • Roland A. Paquette
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                              Greg,

                              A boat is a "hole in the water into which you pour money". }:~}

                              Has anyone ever heard of a saying similar being put to Printing Presses?

                              Yours,

                              Roland
                            • Bruce Graham
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                                In our travels, my wife and I stopped at a resteraunt called "Gandalf's". It
                                was a tiny place with a counter and a few tables that boasted of organic food
                                and was run by hippies (this was in 1995 or so).
                                I have a dear friend nick named Gandalf, also an old hippie, and thought
                                of him when we went in. On the wall of the resteraunt was a pen and ink
                                drawing of the exterior of the resteraunt with a sign that said something
                                like "Gandalf's. Under investigation by the FBI since 1984"
                                The food was excellent.

                                Bruce
                              • Roland A. Paquette
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                                  Interesting name Gandalf's. I wonder if it's after the Wizard in
                                  Tolkien's Lord of the Rings epic. (A MARVELOUS tale!!!)

                                • Bruce Graham
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 2, 2001
                                    How many OTHER Gandalfs have you met? They are pretty rare.

                                    Bruce
                                  • Marjorie L. Wilser
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 3, 2001
                                      It would have to be. That was THE series of the generation.

                                      ==Marjorie (late for my 5 year re-read)

                                      ==Marjorie Wilser

                                      @..@ Three Toad Press

                                      (& Printers' Guild, San Jose History Park, California)

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 3, 2001
                                        When we arrived at a base in Korea we had a local sign painter busily
                                        turning out "by order of Col. King" to be added to other signs. His next
                                        job came out "NOSMO KING" and, naturally, the colonel became Nosmo behind
                                        his back.
                                        DMN