Re: info request again!

  • Gerry McNally
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 1969
      Alright Geoff

      Cheers mate, i will do all within my power to post this essay on the list for you all to read, even the JOKERS with the bad geography.

      Gerry

      P.S. Feel free to let me know any thoughts/ideas that you have on the matter.

      Gerry

      > G'Day,
      >Would love to read the results of your investigations - any chance of
      >making it available to readers of this list?
      >
      >Geoff
      >
      >Gerry McNally wrote:
      >
      > Hi there people
      >
      > I am sorry if my last post seemed a little glib, but i am serious. I am a mature student and i am writing a 5000 word essay on the effects of I.T in the printing trade.
      >
      > The thing is the history of the trade is easy to find on the web, but what i need is your thoughts and feelings on the direction that the trade is going in. The future of print seems to be digital and what i need to know is how the poeple on the ground feel about that.
      >
      > Any thoughts/articles or web addresses about the future of the trade, or anything relating to the trade would be most helpful. I promise to credit everyone involved and i will post a copy of the finished work on the internet for you all to read.
      >
      > I hope this will answer your questions a little more.
      >
      > I look forward to hearing from you all soon.
      >
      > Take care and all the best.
      >
      > Gerry McNally
      >
      > --------------------
      &gt;
      &gt;--
      &gt; .--------------, Geoff Moor, Vintage Services
      &gt; ._______|:¯¯¯:¯¯¯:¯¯¯|| Vintage Charter Service
      &gt; D|-------|`---`---`---'| and
      &gt; i|__ \\\ | -|- | ___| Antique Letterpress Printing
      &gt; 'r-.`-.._|____|___.'r-.\: _, ___,
      &gt; { * } { * }` ( | /(
      &gt; '&quot;' '&quot;' | / `.
      &gt;1928 `Victory Six' Dodge Sedan |/ (___)

      --------------------
    • Gerry McNally

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000

          --
          .--------------, Geoff Moor, Vintage Services
          ._______|:¯¯¯:¯¯¯:¯¯¯|| Vintage Charter Service
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
            Gerry,

            I work in the Direct Division of QuebecorWorld and am responsible for the
            estimating in the division. Information Technology (IT) occupies 90% of
            what I do. Although I've studied printing and work for the largest
            commercial printer in the world, my job is more computer programmer than
            printer. That is why I'm involved with Letterpress - I can't get the ink
            out of my veins, and it offers a needed counter-point to the IT-centric day
            I live.

            IT is taking this business more an more toward individually customized
            products for the consumers of print. We continue to install multi-million
            dollar Scitex imaging equipment that will ink-jet the name, address, a
            customized, database-driven letter and other personalization on every piece
            coming off a web press at 1000 feet per minute. Yes folks, junk mail is us.

            Scitex, Indigo, Heidelberg and others are all working toward the day when
            a "printer" will have a press that will enable them to offer four color
            process pieces with custom graphics on every piece of a print run. Imagine
            catalogs with only the products that the database algorithms say you are
            likely to buy printed in them. In ten years this will be the norm.

            More immediately, IT is changing the way printers interact with customers.
            Companies like PrintCafe and 58k.COM are attempting to get between the
            printer and the client and further commoditize this business. Companies
            like PrintNation.com are changing the printer/supplier relationship.

            In my opinion, IT is a double edged sword for the printing industry. On
            one hand it can enable the printer to offer more value-added features on
            his products and provide incredible tools to better manage the business.
            On the other hand the ability of the buyer to quickly find comparable
            suppliers is enabling them to drive prices and margins down to levels that
            force the consolidation we are seeing in the industry. The use of database
            management tools and the marketing information afforded to print buyers is
            also driving down ordered quantities, as the buyers are better able to
            target thier efforts. The net effect is a tough row to hoe for printers;
            higher capital requirements, lower margins and the weeding out of the
            smaller guys who are unable to afford the big bucks needed to stay on top
            of the changing technology.

            There's my 2 cents. If you want to dig deeper, contact me off list. I've
            probably bored everyone already.
          • David Goodrich
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
              Steve Rush concluded:

              "There's my 2 cents. If you want to dig deeper, contact me off list. I've
              probably bored everyone already."

              I can't speak for everyone, but I find this discussion immensely
              interesting. I hope it stays on the list.

              DG
            • John Grant
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
                David Goodrich wrote:

                > Steve Rush concluded:
                >
                > "There's my 2 cents. If you want to dig deeper, contact me off list. I've
                > probably bored everyone already."
                >
                > I can't speak for everyone, but I find this discussion immensely
                > interesting. I hope it stays on the list.

                You are speaking for me.

                John Grant
              • Elias Roustom
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
                  Re: info request again! I run a letterpress shop in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where I do custom work for designers, I do plenty of wedding invitations too. I work from photopolymer plates (almost always), and the plates are made from films, which in turn are made from digital files, which I get by email. All digital, until we get to the press(es). I use platen and cyliner presses. I believe that Photopolymer, combined with designers' love for typography, and the continuing trend towards excellence in digital type, will be the reasons letterpress printing will survive. (or as long as the equipment holds up)
                    So digital does not mean the end of letterpress, not in this way.
                    I keep busy. The jobs I get are ones for which the designer and/or the client want a very distinctive look (my printing looks nothing like what you can off an inkjet or a laserjet, and has tactile quality that offset printing does not). In other words I specialize. All the printers I know (offset to quick prints) seem to depend on a specialty product or service they can provide, and only they can provide (whether because they're talented one way, or they happen to be down the street).
                    I do regret however that my work comes as a luxury to my clients. I wish there was enough regular demand for my work that I wouldn't have to price so high. With color printing being so easy to get from digital machines, it is hard to make a case for the labor intensive product I (we) can make - reagardless of the quality.
                   It seems like (from where I'm looking) that job work is what's over, as we know (knew) it, and that's where digital comes in to play. An offset printer I know has been running more jobs recently on her color copier than on her Hamada. There are few places here or there, on the internet, or through direct mail, that seem to be sucking up all the job work. Forms, Business Cards, Letterhead. I don't know how they do it!? You can get a 2 color business card from some for $35 for 500! That doesn't even get my press inked. You can buy four color printing from some direct mail companies for really low prices too... unless you want control over the process - that's where people like me come in, and that's how printing will survive (I hope).
                   The only problem is that not that many people care to be in control of the process - let Bill Gates do it for them - how ever the ink jet makes it is how they take it, and they're happy (ignorace is bliss, or the printing is just not that important).

                  ...my two pennies.

                  e.

                  ...put a little more ink on, use a fresh top sheet and add packing.
                        * SMASHING * that's letterpress !