Re: DAS MASCHINEN

  • mike.jacobs
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2000
      Hi
      Last I heard the Linotype Hell Company had been acquired (???) by
      Heidelberg.
      Mike at the Cockleshell Press
      Mike.Jacobs@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2000
        The magnesium plates we have are coated with matt black, so it's easy to
        see how the stylus is cutting, as the bright metal is exposed.

        Nick

        Nicholas Smith
        Rare Books Dept
        Cambridge University Library
        44 (0)1223 333123 (Fax: 44 (0)1223 333160)
      • Greg Fischer
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2000
          Nick:
          Thanks for the comeback. I didn't know if the Klisch could use regular
          engravers magnesium or not. I guess all engraver's metal has the emulsion
          pre-applied. Didn't the engravers use to coat it themselves in the old days?

          LINOFISH
        • David Norton
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2000
            Photoengravers here coated at least some of their own plates as late as
            the 1970's and I worked in an offset shop in the early '40's where we
            coated our own plates. Had a homemade whirler to even out the coating made
            from a bicycle sprocket.

            On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Greg Fischer wrote:

            > Nick:
            > Thanks for the comeback. I didn't know if the Klisch could use regular
            > engravers magnesium or not. I guess all engraver's metal has the emulsion
            > pre-applied. Didn't the engravers use to coat it themselves in the old days?
            >
            > LINOFISH

          • Roger Lambert
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2000
              You are right . I sure welcomed them. Photo emulsion plates became available
              about 1970. We used to get uncoated metal. You would scrub it with a brush
              and some pumice to clean off the slight oil protection and to put a tooth on
              the plate to help the emulsion bond to the plate. We had a Chemco Whirler to
              spin the excess coating off while a gas flame dried the smoothed out
              emulsion. Essentially the same technology to emulsion coat silicone wafers
              that eventually changed the printing industry.

              Roger Lambert
              etchzinc@...

              >Photoengravers here coated at least some of their own plates as late as
              >the 1970's and I worked in an offset shop in the early '40's where we
              >coated our own plates. Had a homemade whirler to even out the coating made
              >from a bicycle sprocket.
              >
              >On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Greg Fischer wrote:
              >
              >> Nick:
              >> Thanks for the comeback. I didn't know if the Klisch could use regular
              >> engravers magnesium or not. I guess all engraver's metal has the
              emulsion
              >> pre-applied. Didn't the engravers use to coat it themselves in the old
              days?

              >> LINOFISH

            • Homestead Press & Cattle Co.
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2000
                Mello Nicholas,

                Have you ever tried engraving with gravers, spitstickers and etc on
                these mat black plates? Just curious as to the suitability for engraving
                on this media, or if Magnesium with or without a finish is even suitable
                for hand engraving.

                W/best regards, J. Mike