No SLUGS

  • Greg Fischer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
      Bill:

      Your problem with just getting just a single slug out is probably due to not
      enough heat in the throat of the pot. I assume the control is turned up
      enough. Bad news, or terrible news. The mouthpiece wiring is such that the
      heaters are in parallel. So you could get a mouthpiece circuit continuity
      reading even if one were open. An ohms test never was reliable for me. If you
      have a very old machine, remove the little box on the pot bottom (POWER OFF!)
      You might find a broken wire or a lot of metal down there. Disconnect one
      wire and check heater for continuity. If ok, clean out and replace wire
      and cover. Then take the L shaped plate off the top of the pot at the front.
      Make the same test on the top heater. I think you can check the bottom heater
      here also on the newer pots without pulling the lid. Its been a long time!
      Four screws at the corners. If the top heater is open, not too bad of a job.
      The bottom one?? Aggggh! Probabaly the worst repair you will ever have to
      make. I would rather replace a cam! To get at the bottom heater, you have to
      pull the crucible. Let me know your progress before we get to that. This is
      for the old Merg pots.
      LINOFISH
    • edinman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
        LINOFISH WROTE:
        >If ok, clean out and replace wire
        >and cover.

        What does one use to clean the electric heating element terminals? Mine
        are very rusty, but I've been wary of spraying anything on them and when I
        twisted one too tightly it just broke off, so I had to go back and
        re-attach the element with an appliance terminal to get it to heat up
        again.

        Ed
      • Greg Timko
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
          Leave the wires as is.If they are tight current will flow through.The wires
          in the pot are covered with asbestos and will fray when handled too often.
          Thanks
          Greg Timko