      From: Dennis Bryans [mailto:gpp@...]
      Sent: Thursday, July 01, 1999 4:24 AM
      To: LETPRESS@...
      Subject: Re: Albion presses

      Sorry, I forgot all about the terminology of paper making and went off
      in an entirely different direction.
      I agree with Alan Brignull that the direction in which paper is laid may
      affect

      the behaviour of the printer. The way paper curls and the noticeable effect
      that the
      placement of the watermark has on the finished job are enough, perhaps, to
      encourage proper treatment.

      A lot of information was/is passed on from printer to apprentice by word of
      mouth and close supervision. I know one printer who likes to talk about the
      trouble he would get into if he printed a sheet the wrong way around.
      Perhaps
      the same thing applied to shipboard printers.

      I appreciate very much your suggestions regarding possible sources of
      information about Christmas ceremonies at sea. I found an internet reference

      "The white Star Journal" published by the Marine Historical Association Inc.
      Mystic, CT., 1949 , which contained details of the day to day doings of 474
      migrants to Melbourne from Liverpool in 1855 but could not really afford
      to spend US $ 15 + postage on the off chance that it had some reference to
      Christmas at sea. Do you happen to know of this publication? I can't find a
      copy anywhere in our library network here.

      My lithographic sailor/printer (F. W. Niven) has no full biography, but I
      have
      researched and written a chapter about his exploits for my thesis. Now
      about
      to be sent off for examination. He has a short entry in the Australian
      Dictionary of
      Biography though. His recollections of his seaboard experiences were
      published
      in the "Ballarat Star". I am in the process of moving house so I'm not sure
      that
      I can lay my hands on the article at the moment but will try.

      In answer to your question though, his firm was quite large and like many
      19th
      Century printing houses his firm had both letterpress and lithographic
      departments
      as well as binding and illumination (testimonials).

      Dennis Bryans
      Golden Point Press
      gpp@...

      Hoag Elaine wrote:

      > Dear Dennys,
      > Thanks for your reply to my question about shipboard printing.
      > By chainlines I mean lines similar to watermarks that are visible
      > when one holds a sheet of "laid" paper (as opposed to "wove" paper) up to
      > the light. In addition to a watermark and countermark, one can see sets
      of
      > lines running in both directions across the sheet. The lines set farther
      > apart are called "chainlines"; the lines that appear much closer together
      > are called "wire lines".
      > The Franklin search ships certainly celebrated Christmas in the
      > Arctic, always with a special dinner. Often a play was performed around
      > Dec. 25, too. Almost any of the journals and accounts written by the
      > captains and crew of the ships will detail, more or less, how they passed
      > the holiday.
      > As for shipboard pubications during this time: there is only one
      > shipboard printed newspaper, and that was a weekly. There was an issue of
      > 17 Dec. 1852 and one on 31 Dec. 1852. They were perhaps too busy
      preparing
      > for their play on 24 Dec. 1852, for which a playbill was printed.
      > Are you aware of the manuscript newspaper produced on board the
      > Resolute in 1850/51, entitled the Illustrated Arctic News? I'm not sure
      if
      > this has a Christmas issue, but it might. Also, Parry's North Georgia
      > gazette (another manuscript paper) might have a Christmas issue. Another
      > manuscript newspaper, which exists in a unique copy in the British
      Library,
      > is the Queen's Illumianted Magazine issued on board the Assistance in
      > 1852-1853. There are a couple of Decmeber issues, but nothing near
      > Christmas Personally, I'm concentrating on printed items, so I'm not as
      > certain about the manuscript things.
      > Did your Australian printer use a lithographic press exclusively?
      > Are his memoirs published? I'm very interested in reading about
      experiences
      > similar to those of the shipboard printers in the mid-19th century.
      > Elaine Hoag (elaine.hoag@...)
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic