25495Re: Letterpress papers

  • David.Rose@AIRMEDIA.COM
    Jul 10, 2001
      Lisa,
      You're comments about NY Art Supply are interesting. Since I live in
      New York, I just went over there, and have never dealt with them on the
      phone. Perhaps their "on the floor" staff is different (and better
      informed) than the phone staff (although they didn't seem big enough to
      have two separate staffs.) But the sheer magnitude of the selection they
      offer truly took my breath away. And as you point out, nothing beats
      handling the paper yourself, which you can do there easily in person, and
      compare and contrast their full range of stock.

      -David
      Five Roses Press

      Lisa Rappoport
      <cutvelvet@EART To: LETPRESS@...
      HLINK.NET> cc:
      Letterpress Subject: Letterpress papers
      Discussion List

      Dana-

      Marnie is right: paper with inclusions can damage your type. Not only that,
      but if the flowers and petals are on the surface of the paper, kind of half
      in, half out, they'll be pulled out and stick to the rollers, type, and
      everywhere else you don't want them to. I wouldn't rule out printing on
      these beautiful papers, just be careful choosing them and don't use
      irreplaceable dingbats or type. Also often one side of the sheet has more
      widely scattered or more deeply buried inclusions than the other.

      David Rose's reply about NY Central surprised me, as my one experience and
      a friend's several experiences buying from them were pretty
      awful--uninformed, rude (telephone) salespeople, wrong order written down
      (which luckily I found out early on as what the person wrote down didn't
      exist, so they called me!), order arrived 5 days later than promised. Their
      prices are great, but keep in mind that while the catalog states shipping &
      handling will be about 15% of the price, in my case it was 22%. So the
      prices end up not so much better than I can find locally. Still, they do
      have a stupendous range of papers, and I'll probably bite again.

      Clair, once you get their catalog, you'll see some great options for sample
      packs from the different paper makers; you can also compile your own
      individualized sampler. This is a really good way to see, fondle and drool
      on a lot of papers for very little money.

      >Clair wrote: I think that paper for letterpress work is the hardest thing
      >get information on. I am always curious about what others would
      >print keepsakes on, and especially on what papers they like best
      >and have the most success with. Do you print with it after it's
      >been humidified or do you use it dry?

      Some of my favorites are Johannot heavy, Somerset velvet, Magnani Pescia,
      Rives BFK, Frankfurt, Mouchette. I feel like I'm getting better at
      recognizing whether a hitherto untried paper will work for letterpress, but
      one issue is you can't always tell if it's sized or not (not is way
      better). Art supply stores and catalogs often do specify. Printing on
      dampened paper gives wonderful results, but takes a lot more planning. And
      I don't really have enough space for drying, if it's a large edition. It's
      a good thing to keep in mind though if printing dry isn't working
      right--dampened paper can make all the difference.

      Yours in paper lust,
      Lisa Rappoport
      Littoral Press
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic