[QCHockey] CALGARY FLAMES SIGN 2007 1ST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE MIKAEL BACKLUND

  • qchockey-bounces@lists.qcflames.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008
      CALGARY FLAMES SIGN 2007 1ST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE MIKAEL BACKLUND
      Quad City Flames News
      CALGARY FLAMES SIGN 2007 1ST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE MIKAEL BACKLUND

      For Immediate Release
      Friday, May 2, 2008

      Calgary, AB – Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today the signing of Calgary’s first round draft choice from the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Mikael Backlund. As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

      “Mikael is one of the best 18-year old centers in the world and we are pleased that we have been able to retain him under contract,” said Sutter. “He demonstrated at the World Junior Championships that he is in an elite class. I look forward to getting him here for Development Camp in July and Main Camp in the fall. Having both Mikael and John Negrin from last year’s draft signed, bodes well for us.”

      Backlund, a 6’0”, 194lbs centre, led Vasteras in scoring during the 2008 playoffs with four goals and three assists in five games. At last year’s World Junior Championships, he notched three goals and added four assists, helping the Swedish team earn a silver medal.