Re: [leon_sparc] licence

  • Jiri Gaisler
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
      Nicolas Boulay wrote:

      > But it didn't say if you should pay a fee to Sun or Sparc, if you want
      > to sell some Leons. And what exactly means the 99$ fees ?
      > nicO

      Back in 1997, Sparc International required a one-time license fee
      of $99 to allow you to design a processor according the SPARC
      manual. I did indeed purchase this license, so LEON was legally
      developed. The architecture license has now been abolished,
      and designing SPARC processors can be done without any licenses
      what so ever. This is indeed why I have selected SPARC,
      just see how many times Intel, MIPS and ARM has sued companies
      that developed processors using their architecture.

      Jiri.
      Jiri Gaisler, ESA/ESTEC, Box 299, 2200 AG Noordwijk, the Netherlands
      email: jgais@... voice:+31-71-5654880 fax:+31-71-5654295
      ERC32 home page at http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww/erc32
    • Nathaniel Downes
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
        Jiri Gaisler wrote:

        > My Groups | leon_sparc Main Page | Start a new
        [eGroups]
        group!

        > Nicolas Boulay wrote:
        >
        > > But it didn't say if you should pay a fee to Sun or Sparc, if you
        > want
        > > to sell some Leons. And what exactly means the 99$ fees ?
        > > nicO
        >
        > Back in 1997, Sparc International required a one-time license fee
        > of $99 to allow you to design a processor according the SPARC
        > manual. I did indeed purchase this license, so LEON was legally
        > developed. The architecture license has now been abolished,
        > and designing SPARC processors can be done without any licenses
        > what so ever. This is indeed why I have selected SPARC,
        > just see how many times Intel, MIPS and ARM has sued companies
        > that developed processors using their architecture.

        Once is too much. Admittedly, SPARC is not the Ace #1 CPU architecture
        whiz-bang, but their openness and acceptance is fundimental in Sun
        having a chance for SPARC to take on a larger world than what Sun itself
        can distribute SPARC to.

        > Jiri.
        > Jiri Gaisler, ESA/ESTEC, Box 299, 2200 AG Noordwijk, the Netherlands
        > email: jgais@... voice:+31-71-5654880 fax:+31-71-5654295
        > ERC32 home page at http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww/erc32
      • gzhang
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2000
          Jiri:

          Is that mean I can use LEON core in any of my design then
          use them in commerical purpose and needn't pay any fee
          neither to SUN or LEON?

          regards