Re: [leon_sparc] How to get my program onto Altera FPGA?

  • The LEOX team
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
      Quoting Shyam <mail_shyamkumar@...>:

      > Someone please help me.
      > I have synthesized LEON for Altera EP20K200EFC484 and also got it onto
      > the device. I have written a C program to test out the hardware, but
      > don't understand from the manual how to get this program onto the
      > device. The manual says something about the PMON S-record loader and
      > about how to convert applications into S-record streams. But what after
      > that? How would my program get into the edf file during synthesis? Or is
      > it that I have to get the S-record streams onto the device separately?
      > If so, how to get that onto an Altera device?
      > Someone please tell me about this.
      > Thank you for your help.
      > Shyam

      Your LEON, fitted into your FPGA, will usually boot from its internal bootstrap
      code called PMON bprom (see file pmon/bprom.c). The size of this bootstrap is
      less than 1 KByte. This program does at power-up the following things:
      - Initialization of registers PSR and WIM
      - Initialization of I & D Caches
      - Initialization of UARTs 1 & 2
      - Initialiazation of Timer 1
      - Configure RAM memory access (especially MEMORY Configuration Register 2)
      o RAM bus width auto-detection
      o Number of RAM banks auto-detection
      o Determine the size of each RAM bank
      - Initialization of the Stack pointer
      - Display result of the AM auto-configuration on UART1
      (write a string: e.g. LEON-1: 1*4096K 32-bit memory
      - Wait for your downloaded S-Record program

      To download your application program into LEON's RAM, use the "send file"
      feature of terminals such as HyperTerminal or TeraTerm.

      Good luck & Best Regards
      The LEOX team

      http://www.leox.org : Free Hardware and Software Resources for System-on-Chip