Re: [leon_sparc] Evaluation Board - Sparc V8

  • Jiri Gaisler
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
      OK, I have thought a bit more on the evaluation board problem...

      If you just want to evaluate how fast your software will run on
      LEON, use TSIM. It is accurate enough and much cheaper and simpler
      to use than any board. On a high-end PC, it runs 5 - 10 MIPS which
      should be adequate for peformance meassurements.

      If you want to connect some SPARC processor to you custom hardware,
      use an FPGA board (XESS, Avnet or Altera). Using a sparclite board
      or a sun/force platform will not give you much since the interfaces
      are completely different.

      As soon as I get some time, I will purchase the new Avnet VirtexE
      FPGA board which has a XCV1000E, 32 MB SDRAM, PCI, RS232 and many
      more interfaces. For $1,300, this is a great bargain! I will then
      provide a netlist (bit-file) so that you can run LEON on it without
      having to do any synthesis etc. A standard bit-file will be available
      from www.gaisler.com for free, while custom configs will carry a
      (small) charge. To make this possible, LEON needs an SDRAM controller
      with an AMBA/AHB interface since the Avnet board has no static ram,
      only SDRAM. Any volounteers..?

      Jiri.
      Gaisler Research, Plantageg. 5, 41305 Goteborg, Sweden, +46-73-9927100
      email: jiri@..., home page: http://www.gaisler.com
    • The LEOX team
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
        Hi Jiri,

        Quoting Jiri Gaisler <jiri@...>:

        > OK, I have thought a bit more on the evaluation board problem...

        [...]
        > As soon as I get some time, I will purchase the new Avnet VirtexE
        > FPGA board which has a XCV1000E, 32 MB SDRAM, PCI, RS232 and many
        > more interfaces. For $1,300, this is a great bargain!
        [...]

        Ah,ah sounds like the Avnet prototyping board should be available because
        several months ago I had difficulties to get info about it, especially where
        to order and at which price.

        Best Regards
        The LEOX team

        http://www.leox.org : Free Hardware and Software Resources for System-on-Chip
      • Jiri Gaisler
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
          The LEOX team wrote:

          > Ah,ah sounds like the Avnet prototyping board should be available because
          > several months ago I had difficulties to get info about it, especially where
          > to order and at which price.

          Avnet had earlier an XV300/800 PCI board with static ram and some
          other goodies - this board was (almost) impossible to get in Europe
          and I never managed to buy one. The new board is XCV1000E based, and
          according to the Avnet web site they are actively promoting it in
          Europe via the French distributor. I would really want to get the
          board with a XCV2000E device, but I guess I can settle with the
          1000E as well. Switching to XCV2000E also bring problems with the
          Alliance tools - one needs the more expensive elite version to
          route devices above XCV1000.