[Fwd: Leon 2.3]

  • Jiri Gaisler
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2001
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Leon 2.3
      Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:37:08 -0700
      From: Nykolai Bilaniuk <NBILANIU@...>
      To: "'jiri@...'" <jiri@...>
      CC: Jean Luc Berube <JBerube@...>

      Hello Jiri,

      I noticed that today you offered for download version 2.3 of the LEON.

      I had planned to convert 2.2.2 to the Altera platform to see whether
      I could improve on your posted performance results, ie:
      Altera 10K200E-1 5,400 LCELLs + EAB RAM 22 MHz (post-layout)
      ... but hadn't gotten around to replacing the Virtex black boxes for RAM, etc.

      Now, version 2.3 seems to be synthesizable for either platform without
      modification. That let me run it through the tools and get some results
      the same day. So, using up-to-date tools and target parts (Synplify Pro 6.20,
      Quartus II v1.0, EP20K200CB356C7), I obtained the following:
      Altera 20K200C-7 5684 LEs + 55552 RAMbits 41 MHz (post-layout)

      I stress that this was achieved using default settings, without any code
      optimization or constraint file tweaks for the Altera platform, so further
      improvements are surely possible. Congrats, you folks at Gaisler Research
      are doing a great job.

      Sincerely,

      Nykolai Bilaniuk, Ph.D., P.Eng.
      Telecom System FAE