Voice Recognition Software

  • pwf1604
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hello all -

      Has anyone utilized voice recognition software while indexing?
      If so, do you note any advantages/disadvantages relative to task
      productivity?

      Pam W. :)
    • harperindexing
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
        Hi Pam,
        I haven't used such software but find other indexer reports intriguing.
        One indexer recently said it cut aspects of her indexing time in half.

        During the past month there has been extensive discussion about this
        topic and primarily about the Dragon Naturally Speaking software. I've
        also heard that the new MSVista will have this feature and am curious
        to what extent it would work with indexing software etc.

        The discussions took place on Index-L, Indexersdiscussionlist (Yahoo
        Group), and Cindex users (Yahoo Group) and would be in their archives.

        Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like any further assistance
        accessing any of the other listservs.

        Best,
        Mary Harper
      • pwf1604
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
          Hi Mary,

          I took a look at Dragon Naturally Speaking and find it really
          interesting too. I'll contact a user to discuss the software
          attributes shortly.

          While preparing indices on large legal related matters in the
          past, I dictated and keyed in field entries, particularly if the
          project involved voluminous material. Choice of using either method
          depended upon the amount of lead time that I had on a given project
          as well as the degree of subject matter complexity involved.
          Although dictation went smoothly, I spent quite a bit of time
          reviewing and correcting the entries from generated printouts.

          I'll certainly entertain the thought of any new "method of
          madness" towards accomplishing an indexing task timely and accurate
          though.

          I'm hesitant to install the MSVista application in my PC until
          or if and when MS tackles the customary "bugs" inherent in this new
          product. This is due toward personally experiencing MS product past
          performance problems relating to software incompatibility issues
          that resulted in a system crash. Luckily, I had periodically backed
          up my system so all entered data was saved. Lessons learned.

          Thanks for the "heads up" on other discussion groups that are
          focusing in this arena. I'll hook up with them re: this issue.

          Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

          Pam W.

          --- In legalindexingSIG@yahoogroups.com, "harperindexing" <mary@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Pam,
          > I haven't used such software but find other indexer reports
          intriguing.
          > One indexer recently said it cut aspects of her indexing time in
          half.

          > During the past month there has been extensive discussion about
          this
          > topic and primarily about the Dragon Naturally Speaking software.
          I've
          > also heard that the new MSVista will have this feature and am
          curious
          > to what extent it would work with indexing software etc.
          >
          > The discussions took place on Index-L, Indexersdiscussionlist
          (Yahoo
          > Group), and Cindex users (Yahoo Group) and would be in their
          archives.

          > Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like any further
          assistance
          > accessing any of the other listservs.
          >
          > Best,
          > Mary Harper

        • p whit

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
              Pam,
              I found a couple of articles about pretty serious vulnerabilities
              with that voice recognition feature in Vista at ZDnet. Thanks for the
              tip.

              The listservs I mentioned are simply discussion lists, rather than
              ASI Special Interest Groups, where members might develop projects and
              take action on certain common goals, so there is no fee to join them.

              While browsing the Yahoo Groups for the exact names of the Groups I
              found that there's a DragonNaturallySpeaking Yahoo Group for
              indexers. That may be the best one to join for more in-depth
              information.

              To find and join any Yahoo Group, just log into Yahoo, choose Groups
              and use the Groups search engine. The other two listservs are
              named "Cindexusers" and "Indexersdiscussionlist".

              Index-L is also mentioned and linked to from the ASI web site under
              Resources.

              Best,
              Mary
            • pwf1604
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
                Mary and all,

                I note that Lev Tech offers up to fifteen various/customized
                programs that serve to ease working with index software applications
                which appear to be functional while indexing legal material. These,
                I would think, allow data input ease (via repetition) and
                management when working with larger projects.

                Kendrick and Zafran lightly touch on this subject in their book.

                Has anyone tried these programs while indexing legal material?
                Any recommendations and/or tips?

                wrote:

                > Pam,
                > I found a couple of articles about pretty serious vulnerabilities
                > with that voice recognition feature in Vista at ZDnet. Thanks for
                the
                > tip.
                >
                > The listservs I mentioned are simply discussion lists, rather than
                > ASI Special Interest Groups, where members might develop projects
                and
                > take action on certain common goals, so there is no fee to join
                them.

                > While browsing the Yahoo Groups for the exact names of the Groups
                > found that there's a DragonNaturallySpeaking Yahoo Group for
                > indexers. That may be the best one to join for more in-depth
                > information.
                >
                > To find and join any Yahoo Group, just log into Yahoo, choose
                Groups
                > and use the Groups search engine. The other two listservs are
                > named "Cindexusers" and "Indexersdiscussionlist".
                >
                > Index-L is also mentioned and linked to from the ASI web site
                under
                > Resources.
                >
                > Best,
                > Mary

              • Maria Sosnowski
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
                  I'd love to hear about people's experience with these programs too.  I use Sky rather than Cindex, and from what I understand that really limits which of the Lev Tech programs you can use.

                  Maria