Re: Digest Number 166

  • elizabeth betts
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
      Dear Robin,

      I didn't know that the same guy wrote a book on Fairport Convention-
      I will definitely have to read that one. In the Nick Drake biog.
      introduction, he (P. Humphries) mentioned he was writing a book on
      Richard Thompson. Is that the same one as the Fairport Convention
      book, do you think? Thanks for the info!
      Beth
    • elizabeth betts
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 1999
        Dear Robin and all the rest of the gang:

        I just got "Bryter Layter" in the mail, and I do like it very
        much--but it is so different from "Five Leaves Left"--it took
        me a bit by surprise. Am enjoying listening to it. gorgeous
        instrumentals.

        Speaking of Fairport Convention, I went into their website
        and looked around. I hooked onto their discussion group and
        immediately got a bunch of posting, especially from the UK.
        I am afraid their discussions were 'way over my head, since
        I only have the one Fairport CD. But the postings were interesting and
        fun to read. They seem to be as enthusiastic and as apt to get
        off onto other related topics as our gang does!

        The website mentioned that a Richard Thompson biog. was
        gettng ready to be released in the USA. I didn't check to
        see how old this info was, though. Is this the same
        book that you all were referring to, or is there a separate
        book about Fairport Convention? I agree that either one or
        both would be very good reading.
        bye for now
        Beth