Re: Digest Number 166

  • RBZNY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
      Katrina, Beth, etc.
      I have not read the Nick Drake book, but I have read the Fairport Convention
      biography also by Patrick Humphries. I recommend it highly to you and any
      other fairport fans ( I know you're out there!). I will take your review as
      my cue to read more about Nick Drake. I think Mojo did a pretty thorough
      story on him some months back. My favorite Album of his is Bryter Later
      although they are all great.

      Robin
    • elizabeth betts
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 1999
        Dear Robin,

        I didn't know that the same guy wrote a book on Fairport Convention-
        I will definitely have to read that one. In the Nick Drake biog.
        introduction, he (P. Humphries) mentioned he was writing a book on
        Richard Thompson. Is that the same one as the Fairport Convention
        book, do you think? Thanks for the info!
        Beth
      • elizabeth betts
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 1999
          Dear Robin and all the rest of the gang:

          I just got "Bryter Layter" in the mail, and I do like it very
          much--but it is so different from "Five Leaves Left"--it took
          me a bit by surprise. Am enjoying listening to it. gorgeous
          instrumentals.

          Speaking of Fairport Convention, I went into their website
          and looked around. I hooked onto their discussion group and
          immediately got a bunch of posting, especially from the UK.
          I am afraid their discussions were 'way over my head, since
          I only have the one Fairport CD. But the postings were interesting and
          fun to read. They seem to be as enthusiastic and as apt to get
          off onto other related topics as our gang does!

          The website mentioned that a Richard Thompson biog. was
          gettng ready to be released in the USA. I didn't check to
          see how old this info was, though. Is this the same
          book that you all were referring to, or is there a separate
          book about Fairport Convention? I agree that either one or
          both would be very good reading.
          bye for now
          Beth