Existentialism Philosophy Blog

  • sartre
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2002
      Group:

      Our latest BLOG member, Marriah Star, has just posted his essay:

      What is Philosophy?

      True philosophy consists in a thinker responding effectively to
      critical junctures, in thought and/or experience. All philosophy
      combines the personal with the metaphysical. Hence, philosophy is
      like religion: it relies on a personality - either a person or some
      deity - to personify a WAY TO BE. It does not rely solely on thought,
      but on action, and action requires a role model. The thinker must
      either use himself as the role model, or some other, possibly
      fictional person, but hopefully someone who actually exists. Hence,
      philosophy relies on heroes and villains, and has a great deal of
      connection with mythology as a result. All philosophy is merely a
      response of the individual to his or her environment. Nothing more or
      less. True philosophy consists in the individual finding the optimal
      response to his or her environment - a response that, whatever the
      circumstances, leads to greater ability to survive and flourish in a
      chosen environment. Philosophy does this by allowing the individual
      to predict the future to some degree.

      FULL essay is on the Existentialism Philosophy Blog
      http://existentialist.blogspot.com/

      Visit and send your requests for a personal invite to join our BLOG.
      We are open for public posting. Just register your own username and
      password, and pot to our site.

      Send inquiries to: BATR@...

      Hope you will join in . . .

      SARTRE