this is not good news for the indies....te stars and fans !!

  • jimstixcountrymusic
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003
      HOWDY GANG !

      THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS FOR ANYONE IN THIS COUNTRY MUSIC BUSINESS !
      IT'S BAD ENOUGH THAT THEY ARE TAKING RADIO AWAY FRM ALL THE NEW
      ARTIST, AND THE RADIO CONTINUES TO IGNORE THE BRAND NEW RELEASES OF
      THE LEGENDARY STARS OF COUNTRY MUSIC ! BUT, NOW THE SYSTEM IS TAKING
      AWAY YOUR LIVE PERFORMANCES IN CLUBS, BARS, AND OTHER AREAS! READ AN
      E-MAIL I RECIEVED FROM A FELLOW PROFESSIONAL IN THE BUSINESS ! WHAT'S
      GOIN' ON GANG!! WHERE WILL IT END! I LOOK'S LIKE YOUR LIFE-STYLE AND
      MAKING A LIVING IN COUNTRY MUSIC IS COMING TO AN END! PLEASE READ
      BELOW!

      ______________________________
      BILL TURNER & BLUE SMOKE
      And a very pleasant Memorial Day Weekend to all of you! Let's not
      forget what this holiday has stood for, during the past
      century....Thank a Vet!
      However...ANOTHER freedom is being threatened even now as we
      speak!....Before I deploy the week's schedule, let me get up on this
      soapbox for a "Fireside Chat".

      Have you noticed that fewer and fewer clubs are using ANY kind of
      band or even small combo, and are offering nothing more than Karaoke?
      Well--we found out what is behind it all...and it's insidious!

      Earlier this evening, we appeared at Cryan's up in South Orange,
      a very popular Irish Pub where we've been appearing since 1987.
      Before we took the stage to start, the club owner called me into the
      back office and sadly told me that as of July he HAS to cancel out
      ALL LIVE ENTERTAINMENT; ALL BANDS, SINGLE PERFORMERS AND EVEN DISC
      JOCKEYS...because of the General and Liquor Liability Insurance
      company's NEW ruling that they will NO LONGER insure bars,
      restaurants, and nightclubs that feature live entertainment.

      The way around this? A WHOPPING $30,000 INCREASE in the insurance
      premium--above and beyond what exorbitant rates these clubs are
      already being shaken down for! WHY is that, you ask? Well, remember
      that tragedy in that club in Rhode Island (or New Hampshire?) where
      the band "Great White" used pyrotechnics improperly, and set the club
      on fire, causing a disaster? Well it seems that the Liability
      Insurance Industry is making that into a 'watershed' case to try to
      justify DESTROYING ALL LIVE MUSIC in ALL establishments where liquor
      is served--as if that alone, were the cause of it all!---I once saw
      someone cut themselves on a broken glass, does that mean everybody
      now has to use paper cups, by law? I think you see where I'm going
      with this....it doesn't matter if a club has no elaborate stage
      lighting, or that it hires only local bands who do not use use
      anything more than their backline equipment, this blood-sucking
      Insurance RACKET is out to wipe out EVERY kind of musical
      entertainment EXCEPT KARAOKE! That is the ONLY thing they will
      allow!!!

      Is THIS a slap in the face to a professional musician, or what?
      (And you Karaoke DJs reading this--don't feel too secure, because
      Satellite Radio can replace you, once a club rigs up with a satellite
      receiver and a house sound system!....NO commercials, remember?---and
      it will only cost $9 a month!)

      The time has come to write, call or e-mail our Senators and
      elected officials about this! If you live in NJ, your Senators are
      Jon Corzine and Frank Lautenberg, and the Governor is McGreavey. You
      bet your ass I'm gonna write--and I may well make an appointment to
      meet with them all in person.

      So....we're supposed to be encouraging Iraq to adopt Democracy,
      Free Speech, and the 'American WAY ??? ...And in return, WE get a
      GESTAPO/DESPOTIC system of an Insurance Industry disrupting our jobs,
      careers and lifestyles!
      It ain't only about music folks---it's about a 'way of life'. And
      THIS is only the beginning! And AIN'T about safety either--it's
      about MONEY!

      _____________________________________

      SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS INFORMATION GANG!??

      NOT GOOD! OF COURSE, WE HAVE HAD A GREAT DECLINE IN PLACES AVAILABLE
      FOR "LIVE-PREFORMANCES" RIGHT ALONG......I KNOW CAUSE I HAVE BEEN A
      BOOKING AGENT FOR MANY YEARS NOW.......BUT THIS INFORMATION, IF TRUE,
      AND I DON'T THINK THIS INFORMATION IS FALSE, WILL REALLY CUT SO DEEP
      IN YOUR CAREERS...........IT MAY VERY WELL BE THE END OF INDIE'S !
      AFTER ALL, THIS IS WHERE YOU ALL GET RECORD SALES TO STAY ALIVE! NOT
      GOOD GANG! I'M SORRY I WAS THE ONE WHO HAD TO BRINGS THIS BAD NEWS! I
      GUESS THE BIG-BOYS ARE IN EVERY AREA TO KILL SMALL COUNTRY BUSINESS
      AND STARS!

      SINCERELY YOURS GANG!

      JIMMY STIX !
      WWW.JIMMYSTIX.COM